XR650L throttle bog

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
Mk13

XR650L throttle bog

Postby Mk13 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:27 am

I bought a 2008 XR650L with an aftermarket tank. When riding in 5th gear and sometimes 1st the throttle bogs down when I give it a quick crank. Then after my recent 2 hour 45 minute ride I noticed when the bike was turned off air and fuel were kind of bubbling out the fuel cap air line. Not bad just letting out some pressure I suppose. I'm new to this stuff. Bike has 7800 miles and is basically new. I figure it's a carb adjustment or a air line issue with the tank that's making it run out of tune but what do I know. Any ideas? Anyone have this issue before.

Thanks!

JoeRC51

Re: XR650L throttle bog

Postby JoeRC51 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Is the air coming out or sucking in ? As far as the bog , does the bike actually slow momentarily or is it more of a lag in the throttle response ?

Mk13

Postby Mk13 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:14 am

Not sure if sucking air or air coming out. It bogs on the very last portion of the throttle twist. My buddy took it out and I saw some black smoke. To rich? We also have to adjust the throttle. The grip can twist about 1/8 of a turn with no response. If I pre turn it it's fine if that makes sense. The snorkel is off and it has a KN air filter I checked yesterday. Stock exhaust. From the outside it doesn't appear to have the Dave mod on the carb. (Adjustment lever) is not ground down.

JoeRC51

Postby JoeRC51 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:38 pm

Black smoke is rich. Is the Filter clean ? If the tank isn't venting , it could be building up pressure in the tank and overpowering the floats in the carb. The fuel screw is only for idle and slightly above. Somebody may have put a larger main jet in it. If you bought the bike from somebody at a lower altitude than yourself , that would make it go rich too.

Mk13

Postby Mk13 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Filter is clean. If the jetting was done how do you determine the size that's on it. And how would you know what you need for your (my) elevation? It seemed like the air was escaping from the line.. There was a little bit of fuel bubble at the connection of the hose to cap. I heard a slight gurgling. It was after a 2 hour and 30 minute highway ride as well. A friend suggested to try some sea foam as it may have sat for a while. Bike idles great.

Return to “Honda Community”