XR650L Clarke Tank Install w/Pics

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

XR650L Clarke Tank Install w/Pics

Post by 4Strokes » Sun May 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Topic: Clarke XR650L gas tank install with pictures!
Author: RideThePig
Posted: 07/26/2008 9:20:22 PM

Just put a new Clark 4.7 gallon tank on my 08 XR650L. Fits great and install was pretty easy. Anyway, since I was doing it anyway, I took a bunch of step by step pictures of the process. If anybody has been thinking about doing this but wondered what all was involved, let me know and I'll send ya some pics. It's alot easier to make a decision after you see what you're going to be dealing with.

Reply by bbultema on 07/27/2008 11:48:29 AM
What did it cost for everything? Can't you just post the pics? If you can't then you could email them to me.

Reply by sampson on 07/27/2008 5:27:55 PM
Yeah, please post the pics. Us noobs can't message on this forum

Reply by RideThePig on 07/29/2008 11:50:30 PM
The tools you need to do this are pretty simple:
  • 5mm allen wrench or socket.
  • Ratchet with extensions and a 10mm and 12mm socket.
  • Cutting tool (scissors, utility knife, boxcutter, etc).
  • Needle-nose pliers.
  • Standard pliers.
  • Crescent wrench.
  • #3 or #2 Phillips screwdriver
This is what you get in the kit. My wife loves when I rearrange her countertops to take pictures. Hehe.
HPIM1252.JPG
Here's the stock pig.
HPIM1253.JPG
And heres's the teeny tiny little gas tank that makes me have to fill up with gas every day. !#$^%$&&
HPIM1254.JPG
Ok, first thing to do is remove the side covers. Left side just has those 1/4 turn thumbscrew things. Right side has one 10mm bolt as seen in the picture and three points that go into grommets in the frame. Remove the bolt and pull the right cover off.
HPIM1257.JPG
Next, remove the two seat-strap bolts with the 5mm allen wrench. (one on each side)
HPIM1258.JPG
There are two 12mm bolts under the rear fender as shown in the pic. Remove those and the seat should pop right out.
HPIM1259.JPG
HPIM1260.jpg
Now it's time to get rid of those elephant ear, wing, landing flap things on the front sides of the tank. Time to get out the trusty 5mm allen wrench again. Each flap has two bolts on the frame behind the front wheel, and one bolt on the lower front side of the tank. If you don't remove the wings first, they'll catch on their mounts when you get ready to pull the tank off.
HPIM1262.JPG
HPIM1264.JPG
Okay... almost off. Remove the 10mm bolt at the rear of the gas tank.
HPIM1261.JPG
For the next part, I simply turned the fuel petcock to OFF so I wouldn't leak gas everywhere when I pulled the fuel line off the bottom of the tank. Use the standard pliers to move the hose clamp in the picture, and then pull the fuel line off the petcock. Remember, make sure the fuel is shut off or the tank is drained. Gas is sorta flammable.
HPIM1268.JPG
After this I just stuck the petcock nipple in a 5 gallon gas can, and drained the remaining fuel out of the tank by turning the petcock to reserve. It took a little while to drain, but I didnt spill a drop. That stuff is too expensive to be throwing away!

Heres where the utility knife comes into play. The Clarke kit come with a strip of foam that needs to be kit to fit around around your frame like in the picture. I used electrical tape because I had some laying around. You can also use zip-ties, bailing wire, bubble gum, duct tape, super glue... well, you get the picture. It just has to be on there.
HPIM1271.JPG
Finally, we can start working on the new tank!
Make sure the O-ring is seated in the groove of the petcock adapter, and install them both onto the new tank with the supplied phillips screws. All of these parts are supplied with the new tank.
HPIM1273.JPG
HPIM1274.JPG
Now the old petcock has to be removed from the old tank and placed onto the new one. Dont tighten it yet though. All I had handy was a Missouri Socket,(AKA Crescent wrench) and it worked just fine, as the photo shows.
HPIM1275.JPG
My fuel strainer stuck in the old gas tank so I had to grab it with a pair of needle-nose pliers, and then put it back on the petcock. Dont forget this part. In stock form, this is the only fuel filter the '08 XR650L has.
HPIM1276.JPG
Now install the tank on the rubber sliders by pushing down and forward, and then install the mounting bolt in the rear of the clarke tank (supplied with kit
HPIM1279.JPG
Next, run the support wire through the frame and across the front of the tank with the supplied screws. (all parts supplied with tank)
HPIM1280.JPG
Now back to that petcock... For the time-being, my pig still has all of its smog equipment in place, so I had to turn the petcock out a bit to clear the smog junk. I was still able to use the original fuel line too. Got it adjusted, and tightened it up.
HPIM1278.JPG
The rest of the installation is pretty much this same deal in reverse order. A minor adjustment was needed to get the vent tube to reach the new gas cap, but it's pretty easy. Just have to unclip it and rerout it a bit. Just more smog crap getting in the way

Anyway, here's the finished product
HPIM1282.JPG
And heres all the extra parts. Ebay, here I come!
HPIM1281.JPG
So far I am loving this thing. Over 120 miles on this tank of gas so far without a fill-up. That alone is worth it to me. Before I had to fill up every day, or every other if I was lucky. It fits great and is very steady. I was all set to build some tank stays (Clarke 4.7gal Tank Stabilizer) but it seems to be very steady. And the best part... somehow this makes this gigantical motorcycle look even bigger! The bad part is that without the wing dealies you can see all the smog stuff plain as day. That stuff has got to go. Think I'm gonna do that next.

bbultema, cost for the tank was about $200, there were no additional parts needed. It took me about an hour to install in my front yard using crappy tools and taking pictures the whole time.

Reply by ALS650L on 07/30/2008 05:34:49 AM
Good install write up. I think this should help some people out, not only installing but deciding to do it themselves when they see how easy it is.

Reply by Admin on 07/30/2008 08:45:11 AM
Good job on the illustration, and thanks for posting! Here's a side-by-side comparison:
HPIM1253.JPG
HPIM1282.JPG
Reply by sampson on 07/30/2008 09:33:02 AM
So that's what they call them, wing dealies? Thanks for the pics, though. My tank is on the way.

Reply by hwnrdr on 07/30/2008 6:08:47 PM
One more thing... Do not forget to clean out the new tank for little plastic shavings from the manufacturing process. Those little buggers may just get sucked up into the carb, blocking the float from closing and end up dumping all of your very expensive gas out the overflow onto the ground were it won't do any good. (Speaking from experience...)

Reply by RideThePig on 07/30/2008 7:53:39 PM
Wow, what a difference. Finally had to switch it to reserve today at 187 miles. Sweet!

Reply by dman3998 on 08/19/2008 12:25:24 AM
I did this and really liked the results, very soild: Clarke 4.7 Gallon XR650L Gas Tank Stabilizer. is used alum bar from HD instead of steel

Reply by AKoffroader on 08/25/2008 03:12:02 AM
I keep going back and forth between a 4.0 gallon Clarke or the 4.7 gallon. Any pros and cons about which one to go with. Does the 4.7 look bad compared to the 4.0?

Reply by RideThePig on 08/26/2008 07:45:23 AM
I'm not even sure. I've been looking at the pictures in the photo gallery and they all look the same to me, other than the Acerbis? tanks. I got a 4.7 gallon because I drive at least 40 miles every day. Usually more if it's a nice day and I take dirt roads home from work. I just figured for how I use the bike, more is better. (With the exception of the acerbis and other tanks. I dont really care for the way they look, and I've read about problems with fit.) I figure that the extra .7 gallons gets me around for one more day before I have to fill up with gas again. Surely someone has a bike with the 4 gallon, and can post a pic for comparison.

Reply by flatfender on 08/26/2008 2:43:15 PM
RideThePig, did your '08 come equiped with the white headlight cover or is a Baja Designs or did you change it with a '93-99 stock Honda unit? looks good.

Reply by RideThePig on 08/26/2008 10:50:13 PM
Flatfender, it's just what came on the bike stock. I haven't done much to it yet. Haven't even gotten around to doing daves mods or anything yet. Been too busy riding it. Almost 2,000 miles already, and it hasn't even been 2 months! I love this thing. Took me a year to put that many miles on my old street bike. By the way, I like your nickname. I've got a '52 Jeep CJ3A that I'm (very very) slowly restoring. Every time I see one of your posts I think "dang, I need to get back to work on that"

Reply by HorseRider650 on 03/13/2009 1:38:50 PM
Does your Clark 4.7 gallon tank interfere with the steering like I've read about the Acerbis tanks?

Reply by jjones006 on 03/14/2009 02:28:38 AM
I have the 4.7 and it doesn't interfere with my steering at all,

Reply by HorseRider650 on 03/14/2009 11:13:17 AM
Thanks.

Reply by InTheRiver on 03/24/2009 07:24:38 AM
I had to remove my bark busters when I installed my 4.7 the inner mounts were denting the tank. I have after market bars though.

Reply by Van Gogh on 07/06/2011 07:57:25 AM
Hi There, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I live in South Africa and have just purchased a new XR650L and have done all the mods as suggested by wise men on this forum. I have however just received my Clarke 4.7 gallon tank and would like some pics and advice if possible in order to do it right the first time round. I would highly appreciate your effort. Regards Van Gogh

Reply by Van Gogh on 07/06/2011 07:59:04 AM
Sorry guys I believe there are some pics but for some reason I can't see them

Reply by Admin on 07/06/2011 09:57:41 AM
Try this: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/ ... ted_moron/

Reply by im4ipsc on 11/30/2011 6:06:49 PM
Hey Admin, I followed your URL and noticed that digital oil temperature gauge which seems to be a lot easier to read than my XR Only analog oil temp gauge. What brand is that, where did you get it, for how much, and how do you like it?

Reply by Admin on 11/30/2011 6:14:41 PM
That would be RideThePig's Homemade oil temp dipstick for the XR650L.

Reply by 2005XR650L on 11/30/2011 10:53:27 PM
I have the 4.7 Clarke Love it... you can feel it slosh a bit when it is full... after a few rides this sensation goes away, no interference issues, did not use the "thick gauge coat hanger" supplied by Clarke but rather fabbed some brackets from .090 aluminium sheet and then anodized them in Honda Red. Thing is solid as a rock and makes the bike so much more usable no more worries about a 15-20 mile ride on the Highway to a great place to ride and explore; only to have an hour or so to tear it up before I have to "R.T.B." for fuel. no interference during plug change,Would highly recommend.

Reply by Bistineau on 06/24/2012 05:26:14 AM
Where do you get one of these Clarke 4.7 gallon tanks? The stock tank MIGHT only take me 100 miles if I use up all the reserve. What is the reserve capacity on this bigger tank? I need one, I do about 45 miles a day round trip to work, so refill every other day at least if not everyday.

Reply by jjones006 on 06/24/2012 1:15:32 PM
I got the best price through the dealership I bought my bike from because I get 10% off anything for the bike. as far as I know there is not a one place that has the best price, your just going to have to shop around, you can buy them from many places, sometime you can find a sale. If I remember right the reserve is .6 gal?

Reply by Bistineau on 06/29/2012 03:57:12 AM
Thanks, I checked with my local Honda shop and they can get me one. Said it would take a couple of weeks to get it, as it will have to be made.

Reply by Bistineau on 07/28/2012 11:58:09 AM
Got the new tank home yesterday and plan on installing tomorrow. First mod for the new bike with the exception of the rack I built and installed, next will be a Corbin seat to be able to take advantage of the longer range the bigger tank will allow me. I haven't been able to ride for one tank full yet without stopping to relax the tailbone, even with the smaller tank.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29890 © 2016 4Strokes.com

SPONSOR