Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

02 YZ426F Header Pipe Glows Red

Post by 4Strokes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Topic: YZ426 Header Pipe Glows
Author: motocrossman
Posted: 02/24/2005 6:16:21 PM

I am currently making my YZ426f road legal and have run into 1 problem. My header piped glows red hot after idling for more that 30 seconds. This is no good for idling at stop lights. Have any of you guys replaced the header with a performance one? did it hold up to the heat longer than the stock? Just wondering what you guys think before I sink money into a new exhaust. Thanks. James

Reply by kubiak on 02/24/2005 6:47:44 PM
thats normal to turn red.there are some aftermarket heat shields for them.

Reply by motocrossman on 02/24/2005 6:56:08 PM
Ya..I know its normal, but could you imagine just how far down the header it will glow if you get stuck at a light for a few minutes? That cant be good for for the bike, and I don't want to hurt the engine if I get stuck idling for too long. I just wonder if a stainless header would glow or not?

Reply by ThumperTDC on 02/24/2005 9:40:26 PM
Most of the new headers are thin wall stainless steel. That is the reason for it glowing. Its not bad for it, its only normal.

Reply by motocrossman on 02/26/2005 8:52:24 PM
Really the only reason I worry about the header glowing is I don't want the radiator to boil over. That header is so close to the rad. In normal riding conditions it wouldn't be a problem, but on the road there will likely be times that I'll be idling long enough to worry about overheating. What about wrapping the header? has anyone tried it before? I wonder if small rad fans should be put on to keep airflow at stoplights.

Reply by Yamaha225 on 04/01/2005 7:13:34 PM
I have a tt-r225 and it does the same thing.

Reply by yzf xt on 04/02/2005 05:42:04 AM
i had this glowing problem happen to my 00 426 on the stock system when idling too long.I replaced stock exhaust and head pipe with an fmf head pipe and an fmf pipe with spark arrestor. These mods were made for different reasons but its been 2yrs sense i have the seen the pipe glowing.

Reply by richontheroad on 04/02/2005 4:29:30 PM
if the pipe is getting red hot my guess is your engine is running too lean. I fly airplanes and we have to adjust the mixture constantly depending on altitude as the air thins out at altitude. if we keep the engine leaned like we do at altitude and come down making it even leaner we have to enriched the mixture to prevent the cylinder heads from essentially melting. if your pipe is glowing you are probably close to damaging the engine. A properly leaned engine makes more power however a rich mixture keeps the engine cooler and it'll last longer. If you have sponsors and need to win, lean it out. if you pay your way, dump a little extra gas. Rich

Reply by hondabreaker on 04/02/2005 4:45:27 PM
Wow guys, come on. It's a high performance 4-stroke. These bikes run HOT. It's more than normal to see the headpipe glowing, but you shouldn't worry about the rad fluid to boil over. They like to have some air in them, so don't let it idle too long or it will overheat. This is the case with any normal 4stroke.

Reply by motocrossman on 04/04/2005 6:34:13 PM
Yes I know the header pipe glowing is normal, yes I know that the rads need airflow to prevent boil-over. But I cant help it if the traffic isn't moving. I'm definitely not about to shut the beast off at a red light, so in the meantime, I need to find a way to solve the heat problem.

Reply by ssauer40 on 04/05/2005 12:39:00 PM
Normal. You may try fattening up the jetting a little. This helps a bit.

Reply by maximo on 04/05/2005 6:56:54 PM
maybe u should try buying a bike that is meant for the road? That kind of bike is meant to be moving at all times and when not moving, shut off.

Reply by motocrossman on 04/06/2005 10:11:38 PM
They don't make a bike like this for the road! (dead pic link)

Reply by maximo on 04/06/2005 10:21:42 PM
Very nice bike! But its still a motocross bike, there for its not meant for the road.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17051 © 2016 4Strokes.com
Attachments
XR4ShockStacks.xls
(44.5 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Return to “Yamaha Community”

SPONSOR