4Strokes
Site Admin

Salmon Arm: Okanagan Dirtrider Round 2

Postby 4Strokes » Sun May 29, 2016 10:17 am

Topic: Okanagan Dirtrider Round 2 - Salmon Arm, BC Canada
Author: SpeedyManiac
Posted: 05/10/2006 9:53:56 PM

ROLL CALL: Okanagan Dirtrider's Round 2 - Salmon Arm, BC

Anyone going? I'll be there with my Gasser plus my parent's bikes: 1999 XR200R and 1978 XL250S. I'm driving up Saturday to pre-ride the course then camping out at the staging area. I'll be driving a burgundy 1997 GMC Yukon with gray utility trailer. Should be a good race.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 05/10/2006 10:56:49 PM
Is this a hare scramble? Good luck with it and be safe, hope the new suspension treats you well

Reply by SpeedyManiac on 05/11/2006 8:21:40 PM
Guess I should have stated that. Yeah, it's a harescramble. Long course is 22km, short course is ~6km I think. It should be a fun race. Thump, you should really consider making a road trip up to this neck of the woods for a race/riding sometime. I know of a race in August that I guarantee will be a blast...

Reply by ThumperTDC on 05/11/2006 10:31:53 PM
Maybe next year, I think it would be a blast. Right now I work a 24hr shift, then have 48 hrs off. I can't use any vacation time I aquire until my year of probation is up which is the end of October. I would have to more than likely do a trade shift to get time to go, and right now working a 48 hr shift isnt all that fun. Next year I would have more time to plan.

Reply by SpeedyManiac on 05/16/2006 9:41:51 PM
Well, the race definitely didn't go as planned. The organizers decided to run my class (Junior) after the Youth and Women were done so my race didn't start until 1:30pm (everyone else started shortly after 11am). They had two separate courses - one for Pro/Expert/Vet/Intermediate and one for Junior/Novice/Women/Youth. The long course was tough, but looking back I would have been better off racing Intermediate. Both courses were extremely rocky and got very rough. When my class started, I got the holeshot, only to have them call a false start. On the restart I got squeezed off and was mid pack. About half a mile into the course I took a bad line and got stuck on a small hill, losing a few positions. I passed a couple riders pretty quick but then dumped the bike a few times (once in a tight sandy left hand corner, no big deal and one high speed swap that bent the bar mount bolt and knocked me silly). I got going again but the autosteer left was not treating me well. I finished the first lap of 7 and when I reached the pits tried to straighten my front end. I got it a little better but lost two positions so decided I better get back out there. I had softened my suspension a lot for the rocks, which turned out to be a bad idea. I had problems with the front end washing out all day. Right after I started out on the 2nd lap I bit it hard on a rocky left hand corner. I was a little shaken, but still okay. I picked up my bent bike and continued on. I caught some riders, passed some, then got stuck behind a guy on a KX125. He refused to move over (who can blame him, I was getting killed in the dust behind him) so I just tried to stay with him in the dust. I noticed a guy on a CRF catching us so I pushed harder to get the KX guy to move over. He still wouldn't and everytime I got close enough to pass I hit another dust cloud resulting in me taking bad lines and having to slow down. We finished out the lap with the CRF almost on my rear wheel. The KX rider was really starting to piss me off. I stayed with the KX rider and finally he took an outside line on a downhill section. I gassed it past him but was a little off my line, clipped one tree with my bark buster, then pinballed into a second tree, then got spit off my bike into a 3rd tree, my knee/chest/leg/head taking the impact. As soon as I hit I knew my day was done. I wasn't knocked out, but I was pretty dazed so when the KX rider asked if I was alright I just stared at him, trying to figure out what on earth was going on. After a few minutes my head came back down to earth and I got my bike off to the side of the trail. My knees, hip and wrist hurt pretty bad, but I knew I didn't break anything. My bike was a little bent, but it didn't look like anything too serious. When the next rider came by I got him to tell the course workers I needed help. Then I sat down next to a tree and waited. I must say I was impressed with the racers. Almost everyone asked if I was ok when they went by, except for a few kids. After a long time (about 30 minutes) a course worker finally showed up and showed me a way out to a road back to the pits. I rode back to the pits then went a saw the medic to get fixed up. Man disinfectant hurts. Turns out nothing is broken (except for the pride bone) but I have quite a few cuts/bruises/road rash and a headache that lasted a few hours. My parents are really mad at the race organizers as when the KX rider came into the finish check he told them I had went down hard yet the organizers did nothing for about 20 minutes. If I had been seriously hurt it could have gotten bad fast. Overall I would say the race was a learning experience. I'm a little sore but most of my protective gear did its job (knee pads slipped down my legs so my knees had no protection). My right knee swole up pretty big sunday night but now the swelling is receeding. I even went riding today without too much pain. I must say until the organization improves, I wont be doing another Okanagan another forum' race. Making the Junior class (one of the most competitive classes besides pro) wait over two hours to race is terrible. That and they need to make sure if someone crashes and needs assistance they get people out there ASAP. The Pacific Northwest Motorcycle Association races are a lot better organized at this point in time. Hopefully things improve for the ODR, or else they're going to have some major problems.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 05/16/2006 11:41:06 PM
Sounds like quite the race, glad to hear you are doing ok. Gotta love bouncing off of trees.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22609 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “British Columbia”