HR3247 TRAIL Act Passed

4Strokes
Site Admin

HR3247 TRAIL Act Passed

Post by 4Strokes » Sun May 29, 2016 10:03 am

Topic: H.R. 3247 Passed by U.S. House of Rep.
Author: ThumperTDC
Posted: 09/29/2004 11:47:57 AM

The U.S. House of Representatives today passed H.R. 3247, the TRAIL Act. The TRAIL Act provides for consistent enforcement and penalties on federal lands, protecting access for responsible recreationists while punishing those who break the law. ARRA has strongly supported this legislation and feels that today's vote represents an important victory for all who pursue recreation on public lands in a responsible manner.

Reply by Brian10 on 09/29/2004 1:20:43 PM
It is too bad that the bill passed. Closing off our public forest to multiple use is the sole goal of our current Forest Service Administration and BLM. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but it is the truth. My Father was in the timber industry, and I've watched that decline. I live in an area where there is horrible mismanagement of both State and Federal Lands. I do not make these claims without cause. I can give some examples.

First, whenever a forest fire happens locally, maybe two years later, they are able to salvage timber out of the area. By this time, the timber is largely un-usable. Primary, these fires are happening around here because poor forest management. There is so much dead and dying timber and underbrush, that a small spark causes a huge un-controllable fire. Don't try the line that it is the logging that causes this. Much of this is in a wilderness area or along it's border. Then after the fire, timber is left standing while all of the environmental groups sue because they are challenging the environmental impact report in regard to the logging. After two+ years in court, they finally get in and start cleaning up the mess and getting the downed timber out; unfortunately, the timber is useless by then. The Forest Service should be able to foresee fires in every forest under their so called management, but they have no environmental impact reports on file until after a forest fire when they try to go do the report and while that report gets filed, good timber that could be used goes to waste. This is one example of many. I have many friends that work for the forest Service. They realize the waste and the overall attempt by this organization to close off the woods to recreation period.

BLM is no better. Check their track record. I've talked with BLM Rangers about erosion in the Great Basin. Specifically, one Ranger pointed out a hill climb that he felt was a horrible erosion hazard and blight on the landscape. I asked him about the literally hundreds of wild horse trails in the area. He didn't have a response to the fact that the horses are a non-native animal on this continent, and that they create their own erosion problems. I also pointed out that at this particular site, there is no water for miles, nothing drains into any spawning grounds, and we were standing on part of the Old Oregon Trail which just happens to be the first OHV trail ever built in the west. Non of that made any sense to him. All he could see was the horrible damage that motorcycles had done by making a single hill climb. This area is so remote, you are 100 miles from the nearest place that has power. Yeah, the BLM is a little one sided.

Basically, these people, and I hate to say it there are legions of them, think they can reach a compromise with the Forest Service or BLM regarding OHV access have seriously not looked at the track record. These agencies close everything they possibly can to OHV's. You don't bargain with people like that. They will stick it to you every time.

A more recent example of how bias these agencies are is the recent closure of part of the Rubicon trail to camping due to contamination from feces. In their statements regarding this problem, OHV operators were blamed for their poor sanitary habits and damage to the environment. Well, that was literally another case of poor management. That particular trail draws more OHV's and their support teams than probably 50% of the campgrounds in America. Yet, no one could foresee the need for pit toilets? I know of Forest Service campgrounds that don't see 100 people a year that have brand new restroom facilities. I even know of one facility that requires a helicopter to handle the pumping each year. Yeah, you guessed it, that place might see 25-50 people a year using the campground. Do you seriously think that if the Rubicon Trail was a popular trout stream, it would not have had restrooms installed. No they would have been there. People, it is time to wake up. These agencies are not our friends, and they never will be. The idea that we can compromise and still retain the use of our public land is a joke. How many OHV Parks in California have you been to lately. Yeah, and how many of those were well maintained? Do you realize that a portion of each OHV's registration fee is supposed to go to maintaining and establishing OHV riding areas. When was the last time you saw a new riding area open up. That's what I thought.

I for one seriously think many of the groups that claim to support OHV access, are hurting us by being willing to negotiate with the Government Agencies. Do you know how many of the walking and bicycle trails in the Tahoe Area were originally established by OHV's. They were made by and maintained by Off Road Groups. Now, all that is allowed on those trails are bicycles and pedestrians.

You know what I think would be a responsible manner to address these issues? We need to quit compromising, we need to recognize that we have a RIGHT TO USE the forest. We need to demand the Forest Service actually do their jobs without bias towards off road vehicles, and if they do not base their closures on sound science, we need to drag their butt into court as fast as the environmentalists. We need to recognize and band with other users of the Forest; I.E., Hunters, fishermen, loggers, horse associations, and whoever else out there supports multiple use for everyone. This stuff is bologna. We need to be fighting back against tryanny. That is what this is turning into. Do you really feel you still have public lands with fair and equal access for everyone? If you do, you have been asleep for at least fifteen years. It is time to do the RIP Van Winkel and wake up before you lose your right to steer anything except your feet off of a roadway.

Reply by Brian10 on 09/29/2004 1:33:12 PM
I forgot one other example of how the BLM's rules don't apply to us attitude. How many of you guys riding out there ride your Red Sticker Bikes year round in California? Yeah, I know they shut you out of the OHV parks for large parts of the year, and you can be ticketed for riding elsewhere too. Well, did you know that BLM is riding Yamaha WR450F's and using them to map all of the roads and trails on BLM Land in California. Yeah, these bikes are being ridden year round in violation of the registration requirements. These guys have about the sweetest job I could think of. They ride around all day with their GPS and map trails and roads for BLM. It is too bad their bikes are out of compliance with the clean air regulations that apply for the rest of us. If this bothers you, maybe you should contact the BLM Office in Bishop, Ca. I understand that is where these guys are based out of.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15187 © 2016 4Strokes.com

SPONSOR