Dual Sport Bikes and Police

4Strokes
Site Admin

Dual Sport Bikes and Police

Post by 4Strokes » Sat May 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Topic: dual sport bikes and cops
Author: cracked junior
Posted: 03/18/2005 6:26:15 PM

i have a 02 honda xr650l. whenever i pass a cop on the roads. they turn on the cherries, flip around. come racing up behind me. and then get close and then back off and leave me alone. so i think they see a dirt bike going down the street or the highway thinking im gonna get this guy good. then see the license plate and say damn it bobby. was just wondering if anyone else has this problem? its actualy kind of funny but still scares me because i think im gonna get a fine for something.

Reply by kubiak on 03/18/2005 10:25:54 PM
i think around where i live dualsports are very common so the cops may take a quik glance but thats about it.i live in ca.

Reply by wesd40 on 03/19/2005 3:19:31 PM
I've gotten some double takes from the local law, but nothing more. I have noticed cops not even giving me a glance when I'm 10 or 15 over the limit, maybe because they think my dual sport couldn't possibly be that fast.

Reply by KingTutt on 03/19/2005 3:56:58 PM
I had a cop speed up behind me once, (thinking to myself I must have been going too fast-I was!) then he just kind of backed off. I turned off to a dirt road and that was it. I'll bet he thought it was a dirt bike only until he saw the plate and blinkers. Even if I'm doing nothing wrong, it always makes me nervous to see a cop in the rear view mirror.

Reply by cracked junior on 03/20/2005 12:09:44 PM
woohooo im not the only one. is it possible for thier radar speed guns to pick up a bike? never heard if it can or cant.

Reply by wesd40 on 03/20/2005 2:20:21 PM
Yeah, radar can pick up bikes. I've heard of radar "skipping" bikes and clocking trucks or other vehicles behind them, making the cop think the speed he just got is for the bike (good if you're speeding and the truck isn't, not so good if you're just cruising and the truck is hauling ass).

Reply by kubiak on 03/21/2005 12:04:15 PM
i just went by a radar trailer on the side of the road to check my speedometer.it read my bike every pass so watch out!

Reply by Admin on 03/21/2005 12:20:27 PM
There is one of those sign-mounted speed displays by where I live and it registers me peddling a mountain bike!

Reply by wesd40 on 03/22/2005 5:24:16 PM
Didn't know those things could register single digits.

Reply by Admin on 03/22/2005 6:45:45 PM
This particular one registers from zero to probably 99.

Reply by jagger_snitt on 04/26/2005 10:54:42 PM
Well it is radar and radar works by shooting a radio wave out and measuring the time it takes for the wave to hit the object and hear an echo of the sound come back, so in theory it could pickup a cow,cat or anything large enough to bounce a signal back. I can see how the motorcycle could be missed and the vehicle behind it be hit by the wave. Cops here in the city a jerks to all motorccle riders especially sportbike riders! In the county the're pretty cool.

Reply by cashmoney on 04/27/2005 6:36:47 PM
it's actually a sound wave around 200kHz, not radio waves. (Not to be argumentative, just for the sake of accuracy.)

Reply by doubleodevine on 04/27/2005 7:00:17 PM
down here in florida, the us41 bridge crosses over a river about a mile wide...on my side of the bridge, they have been setting up a radar sign, and putting a patrol car behind it with a female manican (sp?) in a police uniform...they kept that up for 2 days, then the 3rd day, there was a real officer in there, an officer on the bridge standing on a stepladder with a radar gun, and about 8 patrol cars on the other side of the radar sign reading the sign and pulling people over....definatly the biggest speed trap i've ever seen!

Reply by Shaggy531 on 11/30/2005 06:30:57 AM
ahh yeah thats how they get ya, such as, my bro went and got a nice radar detector (400 dollars! valentine or something i believe) but it picks up the X, K, Ka, and L waves so thats the only way he can tell because the little side markers are X and the cops are normally Ka (sometimes K though) but most other radar detectors just go off when theres a wave and it doesnt signify what kind or what direction its coming so basically, youre boned in that situation haha.

Reply by lightning on 12/11/2005 3:31:07 PM
These things do seem to be eye magnets to the cops.

Reply by 4StroKen on 01/09/2006 1:13:37 PM
Me and my buddy had done about 14 miles off road through water, dirt sand, mud and hit a town then jumped on the freeway to go back to camp. Got followed to the offramp so we stoped and asked the cops if there was a problem. They said they werent sure if we were legal untill they got up close. they said we were ok to just wipe off our licence plates cause they were too dirty to read. They were cool and gave us the thumbs up and said to enjoy our ride.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17396 © 2016 4Strokes.com

SPONSOR