ITS Title Service in NY

New York
Post Reply
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 1201
Joined: May 02, 2016

ITS Title Service in NY

Post by 4Strokes » Sat May 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Topic: ITS title service in NY
Author: Driftwood
Posted: 02/21/2007 07:32:40 AM

Hi all. Noob here. I've purchased a clapped out '83 Yamaha XT550 with no papers. The bike had a title at one point but it's lost and probably irretrievable. The bike has sat outdoors for five years and was ridden off-road for who-knows-how-long before that. I did have a cop run a check on it and nothing came up, which is good.

My question is, has anyone used ITS title service to get a title for a bike this new in NY? They say it can be done, but I don't want to pay the $$$ only to show up at the DMV and get laughed at.

Reply by dave_cl on 03/27/2007 5:01:47 PM
Your choices are pretty slim, I think.
  1. use a title service
  2. get a cop buddy to pull the name from the last registration, based on the VIN
  3. get DMV to pull the last owners name from the VIN.
From what I know, you'll have to get some kind of DMV doc signed by the last owner who registered the bike. Dave

Reply by Driftwood on 03/28/2007 09:23:32 AM
I don't mind using a title service. It costs a little, but I picked the bike up cheap enough so that it'll be a wash once everything is all said and done. My worry is that I've heard some states don't accept title service paperwork. I was hoping someone on the boards had used ITS in NY with success. Oh well, I'll roll the dice, I guess.

Reply by 4StroKen on 03/28/2007 09:28:37 AM
go to dmv and have them give you the address of last owner. send a registered letter to that address requesting release of title, the dmv should give you a form for them to fill out. hope fully they will comply or they wont be at that address. when the letter comes back, if its returned "not at this address" take the unopened letter to the dmv and they will transfer the title to you. if they have filled out and signed the form the dmv will transfer the title.

Reply by awm on 04/28/2007 9:49:42 PM
4strokens right,but send the letter registered mail.and it will cost you 50.00 in new tittle fee.that is if the last owner you send the letter to doesn't protest your ownership.went thru it all myself a couple of times.[both times it worked out alright.]

Reply by showtime45 on 04/30/2007 8:27:09 PM
I've used ITS in Illinois , worked just fine!!!

Original URL: © 2016

Post Reply