Note: Previous forum logins will not work on our new forums. Registration is required.

Baja 90 Engine Ignition Timing

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

Baja 90 Engine Ignition Timing

Postby 4Strokes » Tue May 24, 2016 7:02 am

Topic: How to set engine timing on Baja 90
Author: snowman123
Posted: 08/09/2006 8:50:56 PM

I had to take apart the engine to replace the trans shafts and sprockets and need to know where the timing marks are. timing chain and sprockets had to come off too. Got a service manual from baja but it does not cover timing? any help would be great>> Thanks

Reply by Samuel on 08/10/2006 06:35:54 AM
first find top dead center compression, to do this turn the engine over until you can see the T mark line up with the timing mark on the left crankcase cover. Check to see if your valves are under tension, if so then turn the engine over 360 degrees, now you will be at TDCC. Now then, you can set the cam timing... this is easy. You will see a timing mark on the sproket itself and at the top of the head in the same location as the camshaft or there about. Ta-Da timing is set!

Reply by Smokin101 on 08/10/2006 1:28:47 PM
I wrote a tutorial for someone a week ago, look for the post about the timing for the 72cc bike. It may not be exactly the same as the 90, but should serve as a good guide for you. It explains 4 stroke theory and timing, pretty much all the info you need to fix the timing and valves and such. Timing is set the same way each of these little OverHeadCam engines. Also if you have issues with the timing after putting it back together, you can check one of the other posts of mine explaining how to fix timing if you do it wrong. Can't remember the name of the topic but it should be easy to find. Hope this helps.

Reply by snowman123 on 08/10/2006 6:54:49 PM
Thanks guys, I found the timing mark on the cam sprocket but not the crank. will keep looking --Cheers

Reply by snowman123 on 08/10/2006 7:26:25 PM
found the marks on the head, the sprocket, and the flywheel, now comes the stupid question! where is the mark on the left crank cover? you guys have been very helpfull- thanks a bunch--Cheers

Reply by Samuel on 08/11/2006 07:06:39 AM
its a small notch out of the crank case.

Reply by snowman123 on 08/11/2006 7:54:57 PM
I think I found the mark on the crank cover, Its square and sticks out 1/4 of an inch? is this right. There are no nocthes in the cover so this must be it? I'm still waiting for the crank parts, from what I've read Baja has a problem with shipping . They keep telling me the parts are in recivership but cant tell me when they will ship. 4 weeks now and I still get the same answer?

Reply by kbd on 08/14/2006 10:51:24 AM
Yeah, the notch is on the crank case not on the flywheel cover. My Flywheel has a T and F on it, the T is what you line up with the notch on the case.

Reply by snowman123 on 08/14/2006 6:48:21 PM
Sounds good!! Thanks so much--Cheers

Reply by Samuel on 08/18/2006 1:43:37 PM
as for the shipping problem... the customer service end of the company say things are here that arn't. alot of our shipments are still in dock in china, been waiting for them for at least a month.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23911 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Chinese Mfrs Community”