Mini Baja 6.5hp Any Major Problems

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

Mini Baja 6.5hp Any Major Problems

Postby 4Strokes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:02 am

Topic: Mini Baja 6.5hp - motor or other problems?
Author: gob2003
Posted: 06/09/2007 9:09:59 PM

I have owned one of these for a year and have so far been very satisfied with the Mini Baja 6.5hp. It has a lot of torque and has a nice sound, somewhat like a snow blower!

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone who has owned one of these has the engine ever blown on you or have any major problems ever occurred? I hear all the time problems that are caused by general wear and tear and problems due to neglect and abuse. But I change my oil frequently, I do as the owner's manual says for upkeep and everything (I am very passionate in everything I do). So for all you normal riders who own a Mini Baja 6.5hp and drive it appropriately, have you ever experienced major problems?

I would just like to also mention that Baja Motorsports makes an awesome product! I live in Canada and I can't justify $5000 Canadian for a new Yamaha TTR230 or a Honda CRF230. All this Mini Baja 6.5hp cost me was $599.99 at my local Canadian Tire. It didn't break my bank and I have been riding it for over a year without any problems, but like I said, I take pride in my stuff and drive it appropriately. Now I know these two bikes can't compare performance wise and quality, but for the light off-road trails I ride on and just ripping down old country roads and logging trails they are absolutely great. Soon the Baja SSR200 full sized dirt bike will be for sale in Canada, I will soon be taking a look at those when they arrive! But yeah, to go back on topic, anyone ever have problems? Thanks! Justin

Reply by isthatahemi on 07/02/2007 6:35:15 PM
I've had a MB165 for a year now. It's the most fun for the money you can possibly buy. I tied back the governor from new, as it would only go about 30 KPH. Now it goes 50. Tons of torque will climb any hill. Very simple machine that has taken a ton of abuse. I usually cram my wife on the back and we ride in the gravel pits. I've owned 5 different bikes, (A ninja 600, YAMAHA RZ350, XR70, pocket bike, Recon 250), and 4 sleds. This bike is the greatest little toy.

As for problems, I've had to replace 2 headlights, and a bolt I forgot to re-tighten. Baja was excellent to deal with and I had all the correct parts within a week for only $30!. After the fifth tank of fuel, probably around 500 miles, I noticed the inner bearing on the intermediate shaft was dying. I have put on a comet torque converter, but am waiting on a new chain. I haven't owned a machine of any kind that can be revved so hard, wide open as high as it will rev, and still start first pull.

Reply by Justinsanders on 07/04/2007 10:04:54 PM
how did u make it go 50 exactly? what did u do?

Reply by isthatahemi on 07/11/2007 10:51:29 PM
The throttle cable is connected to a rod connected to the governor. From there a spring goes to the throttle body. Tie a twist tie from one end of the spring to the other, no more 3500 RPM limit. Mines been like this for a year. Maybe switch to Mobil 1 as well, as this is hard on the engine.

Reply by slvrdiver on 08/04/2007 10:04:20 PM
I just bought a Baja 196cc Mini Bike. How do you tie the governor back?

Reply by dylan_in_fd on 08/12/2007 8:07:10 PM
Is there a certain speedometer that would work for this? I am making the bike street-legal (I have so far put a brake light, and side view mirrors on), and I would like to have a speedometer, rather than just go by the cars around me. Thanks

Reply by gob2003 on 08/23/2007 11:46:02 PM
Wow, funny you mention that because I was also thinking of making my bike street legal. I have a few questions for you first:

1. Did you manage to add brake lights and signal lights to the current stator?
  2. How did you hook up the brake lever to the brake light?
  3. Did you change the tires for a more street rated tread? If so, where did you get the tires from?
  4. Could you send me some pictures of your bike when it is all completed? I am very interested to see how you managed to accomplish all this.
I assume you've added a Torque Converter (tav) because without that I doubt you would be able to keep up to traffic. Thanks.

Reply by malform on 04/30/2008 3:14:46 PM
I have a baja mini bike as well. I have been thinking about trying to make it street legal for about a year now, I have yet to decide if its worth the hassle. Has anyone made any progress with such a project?

Reply by JoeRogue on 05/04/2009 3:33:18 PM
Originally posted by isthatahemi
The thottle cable is connected to a rod connected to the governor. From there a spring goes to the throttle body. Tie a twist tie from one end of the spring to the other, no more 3500 RPM limit.
Do you have any pics of this mod? I seem to be doing something wrong.

Reply by butch1581 on 10/18/2009 7:03:31 PM
I would like to make mine street legal here in Wisconsin. Any help or pics would be sweet: here is mine:

http://butch151981.shutterfly.com/916

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27328 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Chinese Mfrs Community”