DR-Z400S Rim Locks

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

DR-Z400S Rim Locks

Post by 4Strokes » Fri May 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Topic: Tire Bead Locks/ Rim Locks
Author: Len Clements
Posted: 10/25/2006 5:15:42 PM

I have my Suzuki DR-Z400S in the shop for new tires. I'm going with the street legal/DOT approved Pirelli knobbies.

At first, I wanted rim locks. Then, the shop called and said the wheels were impossible to balance with the rim locks installed. On the rear wheel, it would have taken more than 100 grams of weight to balance. They felt that about 50 grams was the structural limit of the spokes.

So I had to decide, at that moment: do I want the rim locks and out-of-balance wheels or go with no locks but in balance?

I choose to do without the rim locks. The thought of riding around with out-of-balance wheels bugged me. The service tech did not have any experience with dual sport or motocross so he could not offer any advice.

What do you guys think? I do about 50/50 on/off road. I'm thinking if I keep the tires up around 16-18 PSI hopefully I won't shear off a valve stem? I know, the whole idea is to run at lower pressure for traction. If I go back and get the rim locks, how bad will the bike vibrate at 80MPH on the highway? Do I even dare to go that fast, on pavement, with knobbies?

Reply by Admin on 10/25/2006 5:31:11 PM
If your rims already have rimlock holes, why not just install them and see how it works? You could aways take the rimlock(s) back out and put the rubber plug(s) back in.

Reply by Len Clements on 10/25/2006 7:22:28 PM
I thought about doing that and I still might try them. It's just that the guy had the tires off the rims and needed an immediate answer.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has rim locks installed:
  1. were you able to balance your wheels with the rim locks installed?
  2. If not, do you notice the out-of-balance condition (vibration)?
  3. how fast can you ride, on asphalt, with knobbies? Is there a tire speed limit on any sort?
Reply by Admin on 10/25/2006 10:11:24 PM
I'm not sure if tomass had his balanced or not... maybe he'll chime in here and let us know.

Reply by DigDug on 10/26/2006 2:44:48 PM
Originally posted by Len Clements
I thought about doing that and I still might try them. It's just that the guy had the tires off the rims and needed an immediate answer.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has rim locks installed:
  1. were you able to balance your wheels with the rim locks installed?
  2. If not, do you notice the out-of-balance condition (vibration)?
  3. how fast can you ride, on asphalt, with knobbies? Is there a tire speed limit on any sort?
I installed a set of Pirelli MT-21' on my XR650L. I got a rear flat a while back from riding hard, offroad, with aired down tires. I spun the tire on the rim, ripping the valvestem. When I replaced the tube, I installed a rimlock in the factory hole. I did the work myself and din't bother to balance the tire - figuring I'd just live with it.. heck it's a dirtbike afterall. I was worried about wobble, but in reality it's not all that bad. Heck, the rumble from the knobs of the MT-21 and the buzzing of the motor are more annoying than the wobble. I ride freeway every day the buzziness at 70-75mph gets to me before the wobble, but it's still there.

I've got another rimlock for the front that I'll install when it comes time for a new tire... These Pirelli's are stiff tires and alot of work to get on. Actually I'll probably just pay the shop to put the new tire on for me next time (I'm lazy like that) and balance what they can - to see if it makes a difference...

Reply by Len Clements on 10/27/2006 10:35:16 PM
Doug: I think I'll end up going with the rim locks after all. I'll probably do without them, for awhile but I'm almost sure I'll rip a valve stem, like you did. Just like you said, I'll have the shop balance them, as best they can. Then, I'll just live with it. Thanks, Doug, for taking the time to post your experiences!

Reply by Thumper 101 on 05/17/2007 09:43:24 AM
I tried it without the rim locks, easy to bal. but going thu too many tubes, so I put the rim lock back in the rear rim and took it for a ride. If you keep it under 70mph you could live with it. But I don't. I ride too much on the freeways. So I went to a auto tire store and got a few glue on wights that they use on mag wheels on cars. I removed the rear wheel assy, put the axle back thu the wheel and set it between 2 saw horses, prayed the axle good with wd-40 so it would spin easily. It stopped every time on the rim lock being at the bottom. I added wight 180% from the rim lock. Then put everything back together and went for a test ride.65-good, 75-good, 85-good, ran at 85 for a while, Don't think I will pay anyone to bal. my wheels again

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24862 © 2016 4Strokes.com

SPONSOR