RMZ250 Stripped Spark Plug Hole

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

RMZ250 Stripped Spark Plug Hole

Postby 4Strokes » Fri May 20, 2016 10:07 am

Topic: need help on stripped oil drain plug (07 rmz 250)
Author: motokid
Posted: 10/22/2008 6:17:53 PM

ok so i went to change the oil on my 2007 rmz 250 and i took the first oil plug out drained all the oil out fine that plug was fine, then as i did the other plug i took it out and everything seemed fine i got all the oil out and then went to screw it back in, it felt like it went in right and everything not cross threaded, but i went to tighten it a little bit and then it just spun right around and wouldnt tighten. i dont know what to do i believe its an aluminum block so im skeptical about tapping it or putting a bigger bolt in because it can easily split the block and leave me dead in the water. im thinking of putting an extension with a cap on the end of it but i dont know what thats going to get me. can i heeli coil it? im open to ideas so just throw them at me. thankyou.

Reply by 250f canuck on 10/22/2008 10:33:58 PM
Why would you think that drilling and taping it would split the case? I did that with a bolt hole on my bike's head and it turned out just fine. Drilling and tapping is probably the cheapest solution, but using a heli coil is probably the best. Either way though, you will have to do some drilling. And this poses a slight problem, as drilling produces chips and those chips have to go somewhere. So if you absolutely don't want little pieces of metal in your engine you would have to separate the offending case from the rest of the engine and then drill it out.

Just to test the existing threads get a longer bolt and stick it in the hole, there may be a few good threads left farther down and all you need is the longer bolt.

I've got no idea what you are talking about when you say extension with a cap on the end of it.

Reply by RideThePig on 10/23/2008 08:04:13 AM
If it's a common size, most auto parts stores carry oversize plugs that will go in without drilling. I've used these alot on cars with aluminum and steel oil pans and never had a problem. The threads on the new plug are just a little bit bigger than the original, and it will cut the new threads as you install it. If you're worried about cracking the case, just work the plug forward and reverse as you install it. I think the brand name of the plugs is Oil-Tite and they're made by Dorman or Help! Good Luck!

Reply by motokid on 10/23/2008 5:38:42 PM
an extension is an aluminum tube with threads on both sides and what you do is permanently thread one end into the oil plug hole and put a cap on the other end and instead of removing the whole thing you just use the cap on the end of the extension to change the oil. i tried to tap out and re thread an aluminum motor mount before and the vibrtion caused it to break.

Reply by motokid on 10/23/2008 5:40:44 PM
i also heard that if you put grease on the tap it keeps it from letting the shavings inside the engine.

Reply by 250f canuck on 10/23/2008 6:12:05 PM
Grease on the drill bit will grab most of the shavings, but I don't know about using it on the tap. You could use a q-tip with grease on the end of it to get some of the chips out.

Reply by motokid on 10/23/2008 8:59:31 PM
yea thats a good idea too. do you think if i stuck a small magnet into the drain hole it might grab a lot of the stuff as well?

Reply by 250f canuck on 10/23/2008 10:02:40 PM
Nope, aluminum isn't magnetic.

Reply by b_king on 10/24/2008 7:52:32 PM
Best thing to try is to find the right tap or a thread chaser for the size of the drain bolt and the correct thread size, then try rethreading the hole. Maybe only a couple threads got munged, and this will clean it up. If they are all in fact ruined you can heli coil it, but if you can get at the inside of the motor from one of the crankcase covers and removing say the clutch and/or oil pump you might be able to get away with out splitting the cases. Any time you have to drill into a sealed engine though the risk of getting shavings in it are very high and I wouldn't be second guessing anything to that extent. You could end up fixing the drain plug, but then have to tear the motor apart because of a seized oil pump and in turn seized top end? Not fun, nor cheap.

Reply by motokid on 10/24/2008 10:07:40 PM
yea all cause some idiot cant even change his oil. im goin to try and get an oversized drain bolt from the hardware store tomorrow like ridethepig said and see what that gets me otherwise i guess im in for a heli coil kit=[

Reply by motokid on 10/26/2008 9:26:37 PM
i ended up tapping out the threads to a plumb tube and screwing one end into the casing permanently and putting a cap on the other end of it and it has a leak but i think its because i forgot to use plumbers tape on the threads so now i have to drain the oil and use some plumbers tape to fix the leak.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30280 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Suzuki Community”