Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

05 525 MXC Surprise from Wife

Post by 4Strokes » Thu May 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Topic: Nice surprise (new bike)
Author: ThumperTDC
Posted: 10/24/2012 2:36:08 PM

So this summer while riding in Idaho I crashed on my bike and ended up having to barrow a bike. Well the loaner bike was an 05 450 EXC. I initially didn't want to ride it, because I knew what would happen... and sure enough it did. Since August I have been wanting to get me some of that orange kool aid. Was in the process of starting to save up for a new bike. Was wanting a brand new bike, but that would have been acouple of years out. Long story short I had been eyein a used 05 525 mxc on a local dealers website and had been watching the price decrease. I actually had plans today to go look at it, but things didn't work out to go look at it. My wife informed me tonight that I now own that bike... well she owns it since it is in her name, but I get to ride it. Have yet to see it in person, should be picking it up Thursday morning after I get off shift.

I will post a pic when I pick it up tomorrow.

Reply by jjones006 on 10/25/2012 01:04:23 AM
Wow, cool, that's always nice!

Reply by Bistineau on 10/25/2012 07:21:13 AM
Congrats on the "new" ride, suprises like that are always nice. Is she going to get to ride it too, or is it only for you? Ya gotta keep her happy from now on if you want to keep riding it or else she could take it back at anytime.

Reply by Admin on 10/25/2012 07:21:44 AM
What a nice wife! You lucky dawg! LOL at Bistineau!

Reply by ThumperTDC on 10/29/2012 10:17:05 AM
So we went to pick it up on Thursday, so up and they had it on the battery charger just to top off the battery and the salesman told me he didn't trust the old battery so he installed a new one...Sweet. One of the guys pulls it out front and has it running..it was music to my ears, it has an FMF powercore 4 pipe and it was sounding mean. Go out and see it for the first time and all in all it is a really clean bike, I notice all of the aftermarket items on the bike, the internet pictures had a flag mount on the bike which was no longer there so I was thinking this was a sand only bike since the frame or engine cases from the brief look I took showed no signs of rock damage. The powder coating on the outer engine case covers was a little worn off in other places than where your boots would rub, so this further confirmed my suspisions. I shut it off and kick it over, I noticed alot of free play in the decompression cable, the lever had to be pulled all the way to get it to activate, which coming off my XR did not feel right to me, but what did I know my experience around KTM's was limited to one day this past summer and I never had to use the kick starter on that bike. Go to kick the bike over to start it, fired first kick. Shut it down now time to try the magic button. THe salesman told me I needed to use the decompression lever and the e start at the same time to help the engine spin over better. I was trying this and the only thing the engine was doing was spinning over, never did light off. I chalked that one up to not know the starting proceedure. I was literally about a minute away from hoping off the bike and pulling the ramp out of my truck to load up this bad boy when the owner walked out with the salesman and said that the bike should not be that hard to start and that if I could leave it with them they wanted to give me a free valve adjustment. Since with everything going on I would not be able to ride the bike for a couple of weeks and said sure. The next day I get a call that they had some bad news, the tore into the engine to find that the piston was scratched as was the cylinder wall. They gave me 3 options, give me my money back, put the money towards another bike or split the cost of the repair with them. Getting my money back was not going to happen, because my wife took it upon herself to use some money we had set aside to pay off some bills to get the bike, if I got the money back it would have gone to pay off those bills. I could not put the money towards another bike and finance it, because other than our mortgage payment, we are almost debt free and she does not want to finance anything. So the salesman said that it was normally a $1,700 repair, he got the service department down to doing it for $700 something and offered to split the cost with me. So we chose to pay the $360 to get a new top end installed. Everyone I have talked to about this said I should have ran away, but I chose to roll the dice and see what happens. I went in and saw the parts which weren't all that bad, it probably still would have ran for a year or two before I would have noticed any issues, but they were wanting to make it right. They very easily could have helped me load the bike and sent me on my way. They very easily could have adjusted the valves and sent me on my way. If it was a private seller I would have been screwed and having to do all the work myself. But now that it is all opened up, a little voice in my head is telling me to replace the valves and timing chain just for safe measures, but I was informed that was going to be another $515 ontop of what I had already paid for the repair, so unfortunately thats not going to happen at this moment in time. Its a 7 year old bike, so I am sure it was well used, but I am jacked that I know have a KTM525, something I have been eyeing for sometime now, and I still get to start saving for a new bike a few years down the road.

Here she is: (dead pic)

And the last shot before having to give it back for the repairs. (dead pic)

Reply by ThumperTDC on 11/09/2012 09:23:29 AM
Well, still haven't got the call that its finished and ready to be picked up, but the little voice in my head kept nagging me to replace the valves while it was open just for for good measure. I knew my wife wouldn't go for it, so I had a little stash of play money I had been saving that I used. So I am hoping to pretty much have a solid bike when I get it back hopefully next week. Then it's on to tear it down and grease everything, set it up for me, install my new cycles probend handguard, skid plate and trail tech vapor speedo/tach and she will be ready to ride.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/15/2012 3:26:16 PM
Took 6 weeks to get it back from the shop for the top end rebuild, went to pick it up last saturday. Had it sitting in my garage one night, loaded it up the next day to go break it in and noticed oil leaking down the frame and the front of the engine and no oil seen in the sight glass. Unloaded it and had to wait two day to take it back since they were closed. Got a call yesterday and the oil leak was from the exhaust ports and the fresh nikasil started flaking off and scratched the brand new piston and the oil was blow by so not even having 30 miutes on the new top end it is getting another one. Probably wont see it for another 4 weeks or so. yay

Reply by Admin on 12/16/2012 09:50:34 AM
Damn dude, that sucks! Sorry to hear that. Who is doing the motor work, dealer or some other shop? Just FYI, I have never touched the decompression lever on any of my bikes when starting unless I dumped it.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/16/2012 10:52:48 AM
Its a local dealer, the one my wife bought the bike from. Motosport Hillsboro. I know they used to be affiliated with Motosport one of the site sponsors, not sure if they still are or not. I should know more on tuesday, but I think I might have them talked into tearing the bottom end down to inspect and clean it out. Replace anything worn and when it gets back together should have a solid bike..its just been such a PITA with everything going wrong. Going on 8 weeks since purchase and probably wont see it for another 4 weeks. I am going to see if I can take the chassis since the engine is out and go through it inspect and lube it and if I can convice my wife powdercoat it. I think if I had to do any welding on it that would be an easy sell. Thinking about doing the head stay mod that I have been reading about to help strengthen the frame and then if there are any cracks or what not reweld them, which then I would be able to work on the powdercoating issue.

Reply by Admin on 12/16/2012 3:55:36 PM
The major things I found on my last total rebuild ('02 400 EXC):
  1. Shock spring adjusting nut was cracked where the bolt is.
  2. One of the triple clamp bar brackets was cracked.
  3. Cracked weld on one of the frame tabs that holds kickstand mount.
  4. Cracked weld on one of the motor mount tabs.
  5. Tank petcock reserve plugged solid and main line half plugged.
There were other minor things but we'll be doing a writeup soon. I'll post some photos for you here soon.

Reply by Bistineau on 12/17/2012 4:06:23 PM
By the time you get it back for good, the weather will be too cold for any serious riding till spring.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/17/2012 5:25:39 PM
nawwww, as long as there isnt more than a couple inches of snow Im golden.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/21/2012 11:57:23 PM
Well yesterday went in and saw the bottom end all tore down and it looked pretty good. THey are replacing the crank and transmission bearings just to be on the safe side. The service tech said that someone had been into the engine before since he noticed that there was a dowel pin missing from one of the oil pumps. So all the parts are on order and the cylinder was sent back to get replated once again. See how long it will be until I actually get to ride it. On Christmas it will be 9 weeks since my wife bought it and the most I have gotten to do is sit on it and twist the throttle, but I did get the controls set up to my liking while I had it in my garage for the short two days I had it home.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 01/06/2013 07:22:18 AM
Dang near 12 weeks and a complete engine rebuild later I finally have the bike back. Installing the hand guards, skid plate and trailtech vapor today and hopefully give the bike a once over and if time permits try to grease some of the bearings, in hopes of taking it out on its maiden voyage sometime this week.

Reply by jjones006 on 01/06/2013 2:04:46 PM
*whew* I'm exhausted... here's to hoping many hours of fun and not wrenching.

Reply by Bistineau on 01/07/2013 11:50:26 AM
I hope it turns out to be worth the wait, time and headaches it has caused so far.Happy trails to you, after all this so far.Maybe after all this the only thing you need to add for awhile is GAS.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 04/04/2013 5:09:14 PM
So I have had 3 months worth of riding on the bike so far and have logged about 20 hours on it. I have to say I have never had this much fun on a bike. I thought my XR450 was a nice bike...and mind you it is with all the time and money I have thrown at it, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have been saving it for one of these. The main reason why I was dumping money into the XR was the fact that there was no way in hell I would be getting a new bike back then, so I made due. With finally getting caught up on our debt, my wife bought me this bad boy. Sure it was an 8 year old used bike with later found issues, but now it has a fresh engine and I couldn't be happier..well, only if it was a brand new 500xc like I was wanting to get.

I am finding my self able to ride faster now and feel much more in control than when I was on my XR. This bike feels a little lighter, not much, but it still makes a difference. Plus I am loving the e-start. Had my first big crash on it last week, when I laid it down on a gravel road when I found myself going a wee bit too fast approaching a corner and the rear brake locked and slide out..no way to save it, it happened so fast.

I am still wanting to get the suspension set up for me, and eventually would like to get the carb bored to a 41mm and a 570 bigbore kit, but these last few months riding have been what I needed.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 01/17/2014 10:10:49 PM
Shortly after my last post in this thread I went for a 65 miler and the engine started making a weird noise after 27 hours of riding on a complete tear down. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what was wrong, later found that after tearing into it I found that one of the cam bearing gave up and was coming apart. Ordered the parts and got it back together the day before I was to leave for Idaho for my annual dirt bike trip with my dad. 15 miles into the first day I crashed hard and shortly after had lost my hydraulic clutch fluid, so no more clutch pull. Finished the rest of the day without a clutch (55 miles). The next day I had to ride my trusty XR, it is a good bike, but I am having so much more fun on the 525.

Reply by vetteguy on 01/22/2014 08:27:18 AM
After many years of riding my XR400 my feelings were exactly the same.My 07 450exc feels so much lighter and nimble in the woods and I cant say enough about the e-start. Im 52 and every little bit helps. Loved my XR but this bike is so much better.If Honda built one like this I would buy it. Guy

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33073 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “KTM Community”

SPONSOR