Thinking about going orange

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

Thinking about going orange

Postby 4Strokes » Thu May 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Topic: Thinking about going orange...
Author: TravXR400
Posted: 10/08/2008 1:36:45 PM

Hey guys, love the site. I am a XR400 owner and have really enjoyed owning it over the past five years. I am thinking about moving to a smaller, lighter, quicker 250 fourstroke. I love to ride technical rocky single track, berm shots, and fast whoop sections. I am not much of a jumper however I did grow up racing supercross so I love to go fast. I am looking at the 250 exc-W I think. The 250 with the e start. Was just curious to know if anyone has one and their thoughts on it. I am 6 foot, 150 lbs lean, and I feel like I do not need the power to weight ratio the 450 and even 520 put out. I am also looking for something that will not require to much maintenance. KTM seems like a good bet. Thanks.

...and the 400 is not for sale!!

Reply by 250f canuck on 10/08/2008 2:12:58 PM
I've ridden a 2007 250 XC-F with a JD jetting kit and it is an awesome bike for sure in the tight stuff. Not sure how the dual sport version will handle the woods though, I wasn't even aware KTM brought the bike to North America. Maybe you meant XC-F-W, not sure. The engine is very good for durability, but do get an hour meter and keep an eye on it. Also pay attention to the service intervals for internal engine parts, the guy who owns the XC-F I rode got bitten pretty bad. He just did his piston & rings and shortly after break-in the engine threw the rod. It had a service life of 100 hrs or something like that, so if you get one keep an eye on that kind of thing.

For tight trails I'd also recomend a KTM 200 2-stroke. Those things are wicked little bikes with some very good power for their size.

Reply by TravXR400 on 10/08/2008 3:54:40 PM
Thanks. Yes you are right about the bike model. I can't seem to ever remember the names of the KTM's. I am not even close to buying a new bike but this information is great.

Reply by 250f canuck on 10/08/2008 5:00:32 PM
haha yeah KTM does have quite a few models, I can see where people get them mixed up. The XC-F will feel like a mountain bike compared to your XR, it's very easy to flick around in the trees and the e-start makes it that much better. It is loud though, very loud. You definetly should budget for a quiet muffler if you plan on getting one, and a JD jetting kit to like I mentioned before. They don't run the best when stock, they are all leaned out but with the jetting kit it's like a whole new bike.

Reply by TravXR400 on 10/22/2008 2:00:59 PM
I think I might have found a 2007 XCF-W used for $4000. Anyone have suggestions as to either waiting until next fall for a 2009 or 2010, or if available, picking up the 2007. Any significant changes to the engine or suspension?

Reply by ThumperTDC on 10/23/2008 11:52:45 AM
I believe that in 08 there was an engine change, not sure if 09 or 10 will have FI on them or not.

Reply by TravXR400 on 10/23/2008 1:06:26 PM
Yeah I did some more research and found that the engine and frame was changed so I am guessing they are two different bikes. So far I haven't found anything bad about the bikes... All I found was at about 65hrs start paying more attention to the oil cause the piston rings will need to be changed. Other then that people love them. I am going to look at the bike tonight. Any more info about anything KTM related would be greatly appreciated!

Reply by penguin on 10/26/2008 7:25:05 PM
The engine is the same on all of the new estart KTM 250 4-strokes with only minor cam and igniton timing changes. The suspension differences are minor and can be sorted out by any competent suspension shop. The price difference between a clean 2007 used bike and a newer bike is signigficant. I have an 07 250XCF and have ridden the 08 and 09 models and there is not enough difference in performance and handling to make me buy a new bike. I also owned an XR400 and the orange 250 is light years better in power, suspenion and weight.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30225 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “KTM Community”