525 SX vs EXC vs MXC

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

525 SX vs EXC vs MXC

Postby 4Strokes » Thu May 26, 2016 6:56 am

Topic: What are the differences between 525 SX and EXC?
Author: k5fan2001
Posted: 04/03/2005 09:00:52 AM

Hey all, First I would like to say that this is a pretty great forum with lots of good advice and expierence. I am glad I found it and look forward to the advice I get.

I am really interested in the 525 sx or exc. But I really dont know the difference between the two. I am not to expierenced with dirt bikes, mostly quads and crotch rockets (HAYABUSA!!). So I am looking for a good bike that I dont have to upgrade. Now I know you are probably thinking that the 525 is too much for me but I will be able to handle it no worries.

But I would like your input on what bike would be better for me. I am 6'4 tall and about 250lbs. My problem in the past is finding a bike that can carry my big self nicely. I do some track riding but also trails. I need a bike that can handle carrying me with no problem. I love power and top end. So what would be a good bike for me.

Also I want to buy my lil nephew a bike. He is six and hasnt ridin before. I want to get a bike that he can ride for about 2-3 years. So if you could also recommend a good bike for him. Thanks for you help.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 04/03/2005 10:05:29 AM
I'm 6'4" about the same weight, I ride a modified XR400 on the trails. My dad is also 6'4" and a little lighter and he has a YZ426 which he solely rides off road. Pretty much any bike will fit you with some minor mods. If you decide on a YZF or a CRF some handle bar risers will help out a ton. I have been thinking to myself lately that if I were to get a new bike it would probably be a KTM 525exc as well. I haven't ridden on yet, but I am sure it would have enough power stock that I wouldn't have to mess with it... and that would keep my wife happy. I am sure all the new 4 strokes will have plenty of power for you.

Reply by SpeedyManiac on 04/03/2005 2:48:08 PM
The EXC has a wide ratio transmission, softer suspension, lights, 18 inch rear wheel and side stand. It is geared towards trail riding. The SX is meant for motocross and thus has stiffer suspension, no lights or sidestand, close ratio transmission and 19 inch rear wheel. Another bike to consider is the KTM 525MXC. It is inbetween the SX and EXC, so it is better on the track than the EXC yet is still good off-road. You might also want to consider the Honda CRF450R or CRF450X (the X is like the KTM EXC) or the Yamaha YZ450F or WR450F (the WR is like the EXC).

Reply by k5fan2001 on 04/04/2005 09:25:31 AM
I think I found the bike of my dreams. 525 MXC. It seems so perfect. If yall can think of any negatives let me know.

Reply by Brian10 on 04/28/2005 11:03:12 AM
Check out my other posts on the 525 MXC. I've owned mine since 10/2005. Right now, it has 5000+ miles and is headed to Arizone where it will come back with another 1200 miles on the odometer. So far no problems. If you are interested in the mods that I've done on this bike, I've detailed them on this site. Check out my other posts.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17630 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “KTM Community”