Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

KLX125 Street Legal Dualsport

Post by 4Strokes » Wed May 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Topic: Can a KLX 125 become street legal?
Author: KLX
Posted: 01/10/2006 8:52:22 PM

I was wondering can I put on an an enduro kit, complete with turn signals,brake light,speedo,headlight,mirrors on my KLX-125L? i know I will need a stator. I had heard from a salesman at a KTM dealer that a KTM can be registered for street use. It does not matter that the title says off road use only.He had said he can fill out a form so the owner can register it to be street legal. wouln't you atleast have to replace the gas tank. It needs to be metal. All of the MX bikes have plastic tanks. The salesman told me it is possible to make the 125 legal. I would like to ride to the local trails. Thanks in advance for any info.I would really like to do this project.

Reply by KLX on 01/10/2006 9:32:05 PM
I live in the Sunshine State

Reply by b_king on 01/11/2006 09:56:03 AM
I'm assuming by the "sun shine" state you mean California. I am not sure about the licencing system of vehicles down there, but I do know that there are kits made for the KLX125/DRZ125. So I would check with your local laws and restrictions before proceeding, you don't want to be wasting money now.

I believe most KTMs are designed for offroad use, but have a title that allows them to be street legal.

Metal tanks are a stupid gimmik that the law says when the bike comes out of the production line, if it is street legal, it has to have a metal gas tank. No law indicates though that a street legal vehicle, specifically motorcycles has to have a metal gas tank. Most shops will safety without a metal tank if everything else is there, unless they are anal about it.

In terms of a stator, I'm not positive on the voltage output of your stock stator, should say in your manual. But if there are kits available, the stock one should be fine, or you will have to get yours rewound or buy an aftermarket high output stator.

Baja Designs, Moose Racing, and Electrex USA all make aftermarket stators for dirtbikes. Good luck.

Reply by KLX on 01/12/2006 3:00:46 PM
The Sunshine State is Florida. Does the stock stator not pull enough voltage? The output is not listed in the manual. It only states that it has a AC generator(stator). It does say "single phase". What exactly does that refer to? By the way, i have always been a gearhead. Dirt Bikes are new to me. I had bought my bike in October. This is now a full blown obessesion. I took to it like a duck to water.I wish i had bought a bigger bike. the KLX is financed. I would loose alot of money if I traded it in. I LOVE the bike just the same. Does the AMA have a amature league? Thank you for your help b-king!

Reply by b_king on 01/15/2006 10:10:55 AM
Sorry about the misinterpretation about the sunshine state. I'm not from around there as you can tell.

I have no idea of the output of your bike. I checked out all the companies that make aftermarket stators and none of them unfortunately make anything for the KLX125.

Baja Designs' kit P/N 121300GN is probabley your best bet for a dual sport kit, and there again is no KLX125 kit. This kit is a generic Kickstart bike kit which also uses a LED taillight. This would be better for you because you want as little wattage and amperage being pulled because LED's draw less then a incandescent bulb. You might also want to look into LED turn signal units or just the bulbs. Check out this thread about that :LED Turn Signals

This kit will also include a regualtor/rectifier. This will regulate the power to always 12 volts so you don't constantly blow fuses and bulbs and basically ruin everything. The rectifier part of it will change the AC current which is how the power is made in stock trim to DC current.

I do not know if this kit includes a small Nicad battery pack, probably though. Basically all the kick start model only kits are interchangable between manufacturers as long as the bike is a kick start.

I hope it's a good thing for you that it has become a full blown obsession, it was for me atleast. I on the contrary wish I had bought a smaller bike to learn on, I started on an XR250R. But with time I have come to appreciate the larger bike, and thus my XR400R.

I also have no idea if the AMA has an amateur league in your region. You would most likely have to check their site, if they have one.

Reply by KLX on 01/15/2006 4:41:13 PM
Thank you B-king for all of your help!!!! I appreciate that you have researched for me. That was nice of you! I had went to a few dealers to see what i can come up with. I had liked the Acerbis Dimond headlights. The red ones would look awesome on your XR2400R. Perfect for a Honda. I looked a the dealer's Baja Designs catalog, and the the dual sport kit has the KLX listed as an application. They have a stator that is also listed for use on the KLX. i will just piece things together. I love the Baja Designs kit. I like the Acerbis headlight alot better though. It is a wonderful thing that dirt riding is an obession. i just wish i had gotten into dirt bikes alot sooner.

Reply by b_king on 01/16/2006 03:57:13 AM
Yeah, it's always best to start young. I like the idea you have of an XR2400R, sounds pretty torquey LOL!

Reply by 4StroKen on 01/17/2006 12:16:25 PM
KLX, Yes you can make your bike streetable but . Before you start spending your money, Find out from your dealer if your bike will be accepted by the DMV as a street regiserable bike. It will have something to do with the VIN # on the steering head. Each state is different. In Ca. they just outlawed it. Thats great that they told you about KTM. What did they say about the KLX, for street registration? The reason that you need to change the stator is because it doesnt have a lighting coil, the new stator will have an extra coil on it for lights. The gas tank doesnt have to be metal (thats a manufacturer requirement).

Reply by KLX on 01/17/2006 9:04:08 PM
I'm glad I've found this board! Thank you 4StroKen! I like your name Florida will not allow the KLX to be registered,due to the "off road only" on the title. I will still make the bike atleast an enduro style bike. More riding time!

Reply by b_king on 01/18/2006 04:17:14 AM
That's too bad to hear, looks like you're going to have to move! lol

Reply by 4StroKen on 01/18/2006 12:08:39 PM
KLX, Theres another way to get it registered for the street. I'm not sure of the process but you could try registering it as a custom vehicle. The custom chopper guys use that method for registering their custom made bikes. Isnt Billy Lane in Florida? You could call His shop and ask what it would take. Hell.. he's a rebel, he might even do it for you. "Just to get back at the Man". (Too much TV)

Reply by KLX on 01/19/2006 5:27:14 PM
I have never heard of Billy Lane. Is he similar to OCC and WCC? I will ask the DMV if registering the KLX as a custom vehicle is possible. Thanks alot for the help! That is a great idea!

Reply by 4StroKen on 01/20/2006 10:06:50 AM
Dont tell them its a KLX. Just tell them your uncle made it and you want to know how to register it.

Reply by rkutzner on 03/03/2006 3:20:08 PM
I'm not sure the metal gas tank is true. My 2001 Jeep has a plastic tank. I'm pretty sure the HD V-Rod I have on order has a plastic tank (it's under the seat). And doesn't the new Kawi KLX250S have a plastic tank?

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20964 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Kawasaki Community”

SPONSOR