1988 KDX 200 Feedback

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

1988 KDX 200 Feedback

Postby 4Strokes » Wed May 25, 2016 4:20 pm

Topic: KDX 200 to buy or not to buy.
Author: SVandal
Posted: 12/06/2002 2:46:20 PM

Sorry to break away from xr's again, but i have found a 1988 KDX 200 for sale for about 6-700.00 and I am wondering, for those of you who have ridden both xr's and kdx's, if it would be worth it in your opinion? It is a white (except the seat which is blue) model and is in good condition. New tires and rear sproket, runs smooth, starts almost as easy as my xr did (before the congestive heart failure). Suspension is solid and the brakes are good.

The flip side to this is a ring and valve job +other odds and ends on my old 83 xr. Would the KDX be worth it? Or would it be better to stick with the twin shock xr? Thanks, Loug1806

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/06/2002 4:01:27 PM
I say go for it, I haven't ridden a KDX, but from what you say it is a good deal. If you find out that its not the bike for you, you can always sell it later on down the rode.

Reply by Clint Key on 12/06/2002 4:46:35 PM
Man I can see why you want a KDX, your 200 is well very dated to be nice and so will the KDX I don't think they even had a cartiage fork in 88.If I was you I would shoot for a better 200 like a 86 though 91 or a 91 or better 250 or if you must a 94 of better KDX.

Reply by sizzler on 12/06/2002 5:32:25 PM
The KDX is a very dated machine. The deal doesn't seem too bad though.

Reply by XRDezRat on 12/06/2002 5:53:58 PM
The price seems fair but in 1989 they made huge changes to the KDX 200's. I would look for one 89 and up.

Reply by SVandal on 12/07/2002 12:51:38 AM
I agree that the changes between the 88 and 89 or 94-95 are big ones. But for the money, considering that I am on a budget of about 600.00 I am looking for a bike that is a good step up and one that wont drain the budget with work and repairs. If someone has a solid, inexpensive xr 250 86-newer, I am open to offers. The situation is bikeless, looking to fix or buy for less than 600.00. Which would be a better buy in the long run. Also, side question, is it still possible to liscence a two-stroke? I know the 70's produced some street legal 2's, but will they still give them liscences? Thanks, Loug1806

'83 XR200 with over sized header, custom pipe, xl185 stator and rotor.

Reply by hondabro on 12/07/2002 03:29:23 AM
Go for it.You will enjoy it more than a bike that isn;t runnin.Just make sure you still hang round the hondaxr forums....i'm sure NOS will be very happy if you do. Paul

Reply by SVandal on 12/09/2002 02:18:10 AM
I am going to go with the KDX. Nothing against the old xr, but the suspension is way outdated, and I was nervous to run it very hard because of its age. As it is, the xr will probably be revived again down the road for my wife or as a starter bike for my son. So, I am now going to have to get the kdx and get it licensed for street. Should be fun. I'll let you know how it turns out, and I am definitally sticking around here. This is the best place to get help and ideas on things that are way past my abilities right now. Not to mention all of the good Top Ramen recipies (here's another one, take your cheese mix from mac and cheese and use it on ramen, and the ramen powder on your mac and cheese) Anyways, if anyone has a good method for toning down the exhaust on a 2 stroke, I am all ears. I may even try my home built xr muffler on the kdx. Thanks again, Loug1806

Reply by SVandal on 12/09/2002 02:27:16 AM
I am going to go with the KDX. Nothing against the old xr, but the suspension is way outdated, and I was nervous to run it very hard because of its age. As it is, the xr will probably be revived again down the road for my wife or as a starter bike for my son. So, I am now going to have to get the kdx and get it licensed for street. Should be fun. I'll let you know how it turns out, and I am definitally sticking around here. This is the best place to get help and ideas on things that are way past my abilities right now. Not to mention all of the good Top Ramen recipies (here's another one, take your cheese mix from mac and cheese and use it on ramen, and the ramen powder on your mac and cheese) Anyways, if anyone has a good method for toning down the exhaust on a 2 stroke, I am all ears. I may even try my home built xr muffler on the kdx. Thanks again, Loug1806

Reply by Clint Key on 12/09/2002 09:49:31 AM
If it doesn't have a spark arrestor then get one that will tone it down soem but it will still be loud, it is a two smoke.Hope you hang around and tell us how it goes.

Reply by hondabro on 12/10/2002 02:52:45 AM
You should be able to purchase a new muffler which will reduce noise....I've seen/heard KDX200's on the trail which were very quiet. Paul

Reply by yellowironguy on 12/10/2002 11:06:50 AM
I have had a couple of KDX's, and one of the great things is that so has everyone else! There are tons of used and aftermarket parts available for these machines. If you look around, you will notice that very few KDX's have stock exhaust. That means that there are a lot of stock systems laying around in peoples garages, shops, motorcycle junk yards, etc. All you have to do is find one! The stock system is quiet as a sewing machine. Keep the silencer packed and you won't have any problems. Also, get to know Jeff Fredette, of Fredette Racing Products. He is the undisputed guru of KDX's. I don't have his number but he usually has an ad in Dirt Rider magazine. He is a great guy and is always willing to give advice. Happy ridin'

Reply by SVandal on 12/10/2002 11:57:01 AM
Thats a good idea. The muffler on it is a answer? spark arrestor. Not too bad, but it has the loud pop to it, almost like a snowmobile for sound, though not as loud. That is something that I will have to work on this summer. I am going to look/buy if the price is right today. Ill let ya know how it turns out. Thanks, Loug1806

Reply by SVandal on 12/10/2002 8:15:54 PM
well, I made an offer and he refused. Oh well, so goes the way of buying a bike. Guess I am still pushing the xr around till I find one that works, or until the seller gets really hungry Anyways, back to the drawing board. Loug1806

Reply by Clint Key on 12/10/2002 9:44:46 PM
Man that stinks.O well maybe you can find a new model 200 frame to put your engine in.Speedymachianc is doin it to his 99.

Reply by SVandal on 12/11/2002 3:36:17 PM
Yeah, but maybe it will work out better this way, assuming I can find a rolling frame for a good deal. Besides the guy selling it wasnt much help in trying to get it titled, or in other words, a Schmuck. Anyways, so, I am back to fixing up the old xr, so expect a lot of posts in the engine forum and on parts wanted. Loug1806

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/11/2002 6:44:56 PM
Have you tried going into Palouse Country and seeing if they know of anyone selling any bikes? I know in the past some people sell things by word of mouth, at least that is how my dad has sold my old bikes up there. Even if you walked in and said something to them that you are looking for a used bike, they might know some people. Heck I can even ask my dad to keep his ears open for ya, he's got connections

Reply by SVandal on 12/11/2002 9:20:52 PM
Not yet Thumper, I am still trying to get through finals and the arrival of my son. After everything settles down then I am going to start looking again. That would be cool if you could ask your dad, something about having connections leads to good bikes. My neighbors back home some how got plugged in, and they always had nice XR's. One they got was a 500 with only a few miles on it for about 700.00. The original owner took a spill on it and got scared and so he sold it cheap. If only I could find that person and get him to buy a new xr4 . Anyways, I am going to start looking the week after Christmas while school is out. Thanks, Loug1806

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/12/2002 02:09:52 AM
Thats how I got my bike, I was planning on getting another 250, but one of my dads buddies was getting rid ofa 400, and he asked me about it, and I was like heck yeah. I got a buddy down here in Oregon lookin to sell an XR 500,but its got the dual rear shocks. By the way congrats on the soon to be little loug.

Reply by SVandal on 12/12/2002 11:36:21 PM
ok, so being bikeless has gotten to me, I went into Palouse CS and they had some nice bikes, but nothing A in my price range, and B in the size that I want. A 600 would be nice, but to me it is over kill. Oh well, there are a few 91 xr 200's in another small bike shop here, but I am wondering if a 250 wouldnt be better to get? Which one is better? Mainly for commuting, but if I do get a chance to ride it will be on fire roads, logging roads, and the opposite side of the hill as the farmers house . What do you think? Thanks, Loug1806

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/12/2002 11:53:17 PM
How tall and how heavy are ya? I would think a 250 would be better suited for that, but that is just me. The 250 has better brakes, better suspension, and more power.

Reply by SVandal on 12/13/2002 01:42:11 AM
Only about 5 10-11 and 220lb. Just a little big for the old model 200. The 250 sounds good, I will have to look at some of them. Only downfall is that there are less of them around than 200's. If you hear of any, just let me know, I am going to keep checking. Thanks, loug1806

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30813 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Kawasaki Community”