Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
Wilson79
Rides: 2007 kx450f
Vehicles: Car

2007 kx450f mission Impossible

Post by Wilson79 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 am

Any positive feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Just picked up this 2007 kx450f started and ran great for first couple weeks, Then the nightmare started.. It wouldn't start

Iv put a new carb kit into it
The bike has spark
It's getting fuel (that's for sure)
new air filter
New gas
everything checks out I guess..

So last night after redoing the carb (my first time doing one) I kicked the bike probably 5 times and it started. But then shortly reved too high, backfired and died out.. Now I could kick it for hours and no sign of life.. I can get it to fire maybe every 20 kicks but not enough to fire up..

Iv turned the idle and iv turned the air valve all over the place to the point I dont know which way is which anymore.. Super frustrating with this bike..
any recommendations?

4Strokes
Site Admin

Re: 2007 kx450f mission Impossible

Post by 4Strokes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:17 am

Welcome to the Kawasaki forums on 4Strokes.com, Wilson79. I would suggest getting a manual, if you don't already have one, and check the valve clearances.

Wilson79

Post by Wilson79 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:46 am

I do have the manual..
And forgive my stupidity, would valve clearance affect compression? If so there is a ton of compression. I'v litterly tore the sole out of my work boot trying to kick it over

4Strokes
Site Admin

Post by 4Strokes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:00 am

In my experience: If valve clearance is too tight, the bike may not have full compression. If too loose, it may be hard to start. Really either way it may run poorly and be hart to start.

You're sure the spark plug is good? Don't assume it's good just because you see a spark jump across while grounded and kicking the bike over. Just replace it if questionable.

Wilson79

Post by Wilson79 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:11 am

I'll grab a new one today hopefully. I went on the hunt for one before I got into the carb work but were not available..

As far as valve clearance.. This sounds like a big job. Is it not?

The scenario last night was this (just to maybe thin out the possibilities)

I would drain the bowl (just in case) hit the throttle 3 times for fresh gas
Pull the choke out and kick (no throttle)
It would fire and rumble a bit but not start.
Kick it a couple times again (no throttle) and it just sounds like a dead kick.
Hold throttle full open and kick a couple times to release the gas.. And start over again with the 3 throttles for fresh gas.. And again it would fire.. But nothing still..

It's a vicious loop

4Strokes
Site Admin

Post by 4Strokes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 am

That sounds more like a carb issue, perhaps idle circuit. Are you sure you got all the carb passages cleaned out? Fuel or starting fluid sprayed into the carb while trying to start may give an idea if it's not getting gas.

I personally haven't done a valve adjustment on a '07 KX450F but I wouldn't have a problem tackling it. The manual as well as YouTube videos should give you a good idea how big a job it is.

Return to “Kawasaki Community”

SPONSOR