Powering this new entry in the Kawasaki stable is a compact, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, single-cylinder engine displacing 249cc. With bore and stroke measuring 72 x 61.2 mm, the engine is mounted towards the bottom of the perimeter frame, helping to deliver a low center of gravity.
The engine’s dual overhead cams activate four valves atop an electrofusion-coated aluminum cylinder that provides the KLX250S power plant with extra strength and reliability. The design of the cylinder head provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, and a low reciprocating weight contributes to higher efficiency at high rpm readings.
Riders headed out for a long trip will appreciate the gear-driven engine balancer, which helps eliminate engine vibration to deliver greater rider comfort and less fatigue.
When getting off the pavement calls for extra protection, the KLX250S’s aluminum engine guard shields the crankcase from rocks and stones so prevalent when riding on gravel or dirt roads.
With today’s fuel prices, even motorcyclists want to pay attention to gasoline consumption. A Keihin 34mm semi-flat slide CVK carburetor equipped with a Throttle Position Sensor delivers the optimum amount of fuel required under all riding conditions, contributing to improved responsiveness and power, as well as increased fuel economy. Motorcyclists will notice the 26.5° caster angle and short wheelbase which contribute to quick handling response, while the frame rigidity helps straight-line stability. The Uni-Trak rear suspension provides superb road-holding ability and bump absorption and the 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork comes with a 16-way compression damping adjustment. Stopping the powerful KLX250S is handled by front and rear disc brakes. A twin-piston caliper grips a 250mm semi-floating disc up front, while a single piston caliper operates the 220mm rear disc.
Other key features of the new KLX250S:
- Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio. Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod allow power-producing revs.
- Starting the KLX250S is simplified through the use of an electric starter and Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR), which automatically lifts an exhaust valve at cranking rpm.
- The digital CDI provides precise control of ignition timing and contributes to easy starts and reliability under extreme conditions.
- Dual, vertical-flow radiators provide highly efficient, reliable engine cooling.
- A lightweight, rigid aluminum swingarm contributes to reduced unsprung weight.
- Dual-dial instrument panel features easy-to-read analogue speedometer and tachometer, odometer, trip meter, water temperature warning lamp, and a series of indicator lamps.
- Snail-type chain adjusters simplify wheel removal and chain adjustments.
- The KLX250S is equipped with a 1.9 gallon fuel tank, narrowly constructed to provide the rider with a comfortable position.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S Dual Purpose Model Specifications
Engine: Four-stroke DOHC four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 71.9 x 61.2mm (2.83 x 2.41 in)
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34
Transmission: Six-speed, return shift
Frame: High-tensile steel, perimeter design
Rake / trail: 28.5 degrees / 4.6 in.
Suspension, front: Telescopic fork, upside down
Suspension, rear: Uni-Track®, swingarm
Wheel travel, front / rear: 11.2 in. / 11.0 in.
Tire, front / rear: 3.00x21 / 4.60x18
Brakes, front / rear: Hydraulic disc / disc
Overall length: 84.1 in.
Overall width: 34.8 in.
Overall height: 47.6 in.
Wheelbase: 56.5 in.
Ground clearance: 11.6 in.
Seat height: 34.8 in
Dry weight: 262.4 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.9 gal.
Color: Kawasaki Lime Green/Black
Suggested Retail: $4,699 (USD)