The Kawasaki KLR650 has some of the most loyal fans in motorcycling and the reason is simple: this big-bore dual-purpose bike provides riders with amazing versatility to travel far beyond the city streets and highways of America. With its comfortable ergonomics, off-highway capability, large fuel tank and optional accessories, the KLR650 is the ultimate world traveler.
Power for the KLR650 comes from a strong, dual overhead cam, four-valve, liquid-cooled, single cylinder, 651cc four-stroke engine. The engine provides a wide range of power equally suitable for negotiating low-speed trails and cruising at a more brisk highway pace. An engine crankshaft counter-balancer and electric starter provide additional rider comfort and convenience.
The frame for the KLR650 is made of round-section high-tensile steel, and a detachable rear subframe simplifies maintenance by providing easier access to the airbox, carburetor and rear shock. Adjustable, long-travel suspension provides a plush ride on both pavement and off-road.
A U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor provides access to any road open to licensed vehicles, while a sturdy engine guard protects the engine from loose rocks and gravel. With an optional Kawasaki tank bag and soft luggage on the large standard rear rack, KLR650 owners can tote enough gear for an extended trip to any remote location. Suggested Retail: $5,199 USD.
2006 Kawasaki KLR650 Features and Benefits
651cc Four-stroke Single
- A compact, smooth, reliable and proven design
- Special tuning to improve low- and mid-range power
- Light, silent cam chain reduces engine noise
- Oil-level window permits easy and accurate inspection
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
- Automatic fan keeps things cool in all conditions
- Includes a temperature gauge
- Better breathing for more power at all rpm
- Compact combustion chamber for increased compression ratio without detonation
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Boosts low-end torque
- Engine runs smoothly from idle to redline for rider comfort and less fatigue on long rides
- More precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
- Fewer moving parts for long, trouble-free life
- Designed to handle the engine’s unique power characteristics
- The engine’s broad torque curve only requires five speeds for off-road and relaxed highway cruising
- O-ring drive chain reduces maintenance and increases chain service life
- Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
- Designed to provide a good compromise between the requirements of on- and off-road riding
- Air-adjustable front forks
- High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation
- Made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
- Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
- Simplifies maintenance by providing better access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor
- Large rear cargo rack included
- Lowers the center of gravity for better handling
- Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
- Features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping
- Powerful and controllable disc brakes produce quick, smooth stops
- Easy and convenient starting
- Street-legal lighting with turn indicators
- U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
- Significant capacity permits adventure touring
- Mini fairing, windshield and handlebar guards enhance rider comfort
- Temperature gauge, tachometer and trip meter keeps rider informed
- Rear taillight parking light
- Optional extended warranty
Engine: Four-stroke DOHC four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 100.0 x 83.0mm
Compression ratio: 9.5:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK40
Ignition: Electronic CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Semi-double-cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 28 degrees / 4.4 in.
Suspension, front: 38mm leading-axle fork, air-adjustable hydraulic telescopic fork
Suspension, rear: Uni-Trak single shock system, 5-way adjustable preload with 4-way rebound damping
Wheel travel, front / rear: 9.1 in. / 9.1 in.
Tire, front / rear: 90/90x21 / 130/80x17
Brakes, front / rear: Hydraulic disc / disc
Overall length: 86.8 in.
Overall width: 37.0 in.
Overall height: 53.0 in.
Wheelbase: 58.9 in.
Ground clearance: 9.4 in.
Seat height: 35.0 in
Dry weight: 337 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 6.1 gal.
Color: Kawasaki Lime Green and Aztec Red