TT225 Stripped Pilot Jet Removal

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

TT225 Stripped Pilot Jet Removal

Postby 4Strokes » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Topic: How do I remove pilot jet that is stuck/stripped?
Author: dewi1219
Posted: 03/06/2007 12:46:12 PM

I have an '86 TT225 that I cannot get to idle correctly. I disassembled everything on the carb down to the pilot jet, but it wouldn't come out. It was nearly stripped when I got to it, and I think I finished the job. I soaked the carb in cleaner with the jet still installed, but it still won't idle, even after a lot of trial and error on the pilot screw. It runs well when I'm on the gas but just will not idle. I feel certain the pilot jet must be removed/replaced, but does anyone have advice on how to remove a jet that is stripped and stuck? Thanks. Scott S.

Reply by 250f canuck on 03/06/2007 5:16:01 PM
If you can try to get a small Dremel tool with a cutter head to the pilot jet and cut a groove in the center of it. If you can do this you should be able to remove it with a flat-head screwdriver. I had to do this on the broken off fuel screw on an old XR I had. If you still can't get it out then set your idle speed higher.

Reply by dewi1219 on 03/07/2007 4:19:57 PM
That is what I would do if I could, but the jet is recessed in the carb body so there is no way to get a Dremel to it. I will see if I can find a bit for my impact driver (the kind you tap with a hammer, not the air-powered kind) that is small enough to get in there. That might loosen it up. Thanks. Scott S.

Reply by kubiak on 03/07/2007 6:40:02 PM
maybe if they make a small enough ez-out bit. drill a bigger hole in the jet then use a ez-out or wedge something in there to turn it out?

Reply by dewi1219 on 03/08/2007 09:07:40 AM
I have an EZ Out that is small enough, but I wasn't sure how well it would work in a jet that is made of brass. But that will probably be my next step if the impact driver doesn't work. Thanks.

Reply by kubiak on 03/08/2007 9:38:52 PM
let us know how it turns out!

Reply by dewi1219 on 04/22/2007 10:38:50 PM
I know it's been a while since my original post, but I finally got up the nerve to try the EZ out, and it worked like a charm. I used the smallest EZ out from my very cheap Walmart set, and I found the smallest drill bit that would accommodate the EZ out. Drilled a hole about 1/4-1/2" deep in the jet, inserted the EZ out, pushed down while turning it CCW with a pair of vice grips, and it came right out. What a relief! I was really worried that I might ruin the carb with this little stunt, but it worked great. Thanks for the advice / support. Scott

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26085 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Yamaha Community”