XR650L owners thread.

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
JoeRC51

XR650L owners thread.

Post by JoeRC51 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Anybody else out there with an XRL ?

Turn and Bank

Re: XR650L owners thread.

Post by Turn and Bank » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:54 pm

JoeRC51
OK I raise my hand. Just bought a 2016 XR650L and only have 100 miles on it. Used to ride enduros years back. Well for starters she's tall, a little overweight, runs to lean, to hot, second gear is to tall and not matched to 1st gear, the tank is too small and standing is uncomfortable because the bars aren't tall enough . But don't get me wrong I still like it but there are a bunch of things to do to it to make it better, at least for me. First thing I did was raise the bars 2" and cut 1" off each bar end. Next I bought a Sutton oil cooler, a smog removal kit and I'm thinking of the FCR carb, a FMF Q4 and header and a smaller battery in a less obtrusive location. Most of the changes are to shed some weight. Also a good idea to add an aluminum plate to the left side cover behind the shift arm, and a skid plate. But other than that it's a good bike.

I've read and seen some video's of guys that have "moto'd" the thing and that is interesting and should flick around in corners pretty nicely and with some sprocket changes she'll do 90+ MPH.

OK Joe what have you got and what have you done to it and what type of riding do you do?

Oh, for starter to get the oil temp's down I removed the front fender and saw a 30 degree F drop. So I cut the duck bill off the front and slotted the rear of the front fender and added baffles to keep mud from filling the slots. When I get it done, if I can figure out how, I'll post some pictures.

T & B

JoeRC51

Post by JoeRC51 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:46 am

I was wondering if anyone would EVER post here. I've got an '05 and it's an SM. Second gear isn't too tall , first is too short. I've got the Sutton cooler AND a Lockhart under the headlight. Mikuni TM40 , 11.25 piston , Hotcam , FMF header and Titanium-4 , Ignitech programmable CDI. 54HP and she'll do112 MPH by GPS. 320 lbs. full of gas. Excel rims , Michelin Pilot Power tires.

Turn and Bank

Post by Turn and Bank » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:22 pm

JoeRC51
Hey, tell me how you got the weight down, sounds good at 320 lbs. I assume sm is super moto'd. So you've got a canyon carver. Should flick around pretty nicely. The FMX model Honda, imported to Europe only is where you can get a 5th gear that is taller than stock. Supposed to slip right in with changing the pair, something to do with thicker teeth that allow it to mate up to the other gear, Yes 1st would be to low for a dedicated street bike but I'm sure you changed sprockets to help. The 5th gear wound be the cat's meow as it gives you a larger spread than between 4th and 5th, a real boon to top end since I'm sure you're making enough HP.
Take Care
T&B
Sorry but I seem to have posted two replies. Newbe don't ya know!

JoeRC51

Post by JoeRC51 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:29 pm

Removed the smogtopus , engine guard , passenger pegs , snorkel , fork boots. Acerbis SM front fender and CRF rear with LED tail light small turn signals , alloy bars , shorty levers. A lot of other little things removed or replaced. It all adds up. I think the 4-5 gear spread is fine and I've got the XR600R taller 1st gear to get rid of the 1-2 spread with 15/40 sprockets.

giantcone
Rides: MCMXCIX XR650L

Yet Another XR650L owner

Post by giantcone » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:59 am

¡Yough! I'll just barge on in too and state that I'm a proud owner of a "basket case" XR650L. By "basket case" I mean the engine is in pieces in a number of milk crates and boxes at the moment. The piston seized up on me earlier this year (on my first ride on it), and a good chunk of the piston skirt got ground up in the guts of the engine. I split the case and cleaned it up best I could. My father had to use a aluminum saw to remove the piston from the connecting rod, as the wrist pin was bound to both the rod and the piston. (I got some nice pictures of that butchering if anyone wants to see it!)

I'm debating whether to rebuild or call it quits on this engine at the moment. The wrist pin bore of the connecting rod is scored severely and it's diameter comes out to the wear limit indicated in the Clymer book I have on this bike. My father says not to worry about it as it uses a fully floating wrist pin; perhaps he's right. I'll likely need to bore the cylinder out to the next larger size as the cylinder is also at the wear limit as well (dia=100.12mm). If I go this route I'll likely get the 101mm Wiseco 8.7 compression ratio piston.

There's also this nifty piece of advice I found that mentions switching out transmission gears and the rear chain cog in the XR650L to make it more manageable on the dirt (the comments on the "final touches" link from the website below mention the specific part numbers used for replacing the 2nd and 5th gears. I guess going from 42 teeth to 48 teeth on the rear chain cog helps as well according to this author).

Link: Hot Rod Honda (XR650L)

If anyone has advice on the wrist pin bore scoring being a concern or not, please chime in. I'm not too keen on having the crank pulled apart, getting a new connecting rod and then pressing it together. Although all that might be cheaper than buying a new motorcycle. :?

Let me know if anyone wants to see pictures. I have a good micro 3/4 camera with a macro-mode lens.

SPONSOR