XR650L Rear Fender Mod

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

XR650L Rear Fender Mod

Post by 4Strokes » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 am

Topic: rear fender xr650l (swap to CRF450)
Author: bris650
Posted: 11/11/2008 2:31:12 PM

I just bought a 1998 xr650l and the taillight and license plate bracket broke. I want to replace it with a baja designs LED but the old mounting holes on the fender look bad. Does anyone know if the Acerbis universal rear fender will work on my xr650l, or what have others done to make this switch? Any help would be appreciated as I'm a newbie.

Reply by Ecksarelle on 11/11/2008 7:46:20 PM
Not sure about the Acerbis product. As an option for replacement, I can attest to the quality, fit and finish of the Maier MX Style Rear Fender (Product No. 12305 will fit your "L"). Pricey but way cooler than stock. Here it is mounted to the Pig (with an Edge II LED tail light).
022.JPG
Plate Mount
022.JPG (8.88 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
~Ecks

Reply by bris650 on 11/12/2008 4:30:48 PM
Ecks, Way cooler is better. Thanks for the tip. Pricey is right but what can ya do. Sure looks cool on your pig. Yack atcha again I'm sure. Briaqn

Reply by simapg on 11/14/2008 03:56:27 AM
I opted for a CRF450 rear fender with the BD tail light assembly (some mods required).
Picture015.JPG
Reply by Old dog on 11/14/2008 2:36:55 PM
Nice bike simapg! Did you shorten your Big Gun Evo-X, or the pipe on it? I've got the same muffler on my bike, but yours looks a couple of inches shorter.

Reply by bris650 on 11/19/2008 1:50:51 PM
Simapg, sure looks great on your bike. I'd be interested on what mods you had to do to make it work. Thanks for responding. Its cold here in Michigan sure wish I could ride one more time bfore the snow flys. Bris650

Reply by Admin on 11/19/2008 2:00:09 PM
Photobucket > simapg > XR650LSM: http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp26 ... /XR650LSM/

Reply by bigflip on 11/20/2008 12:13:05 AM
Simapg, Nice looking bike. I was wondering what kind of seat that is. Is it a "tall" seat? If so what kind is it? I'm looking for a tall seat (both foam and cover) for my L. Your help or anyone else's would be great. Thanks

Reply by simapg on 11/20/2008 5:10:06 PM
Old Dog. I did not cut the exhaust. It is the complete system including the header, but maybe it looks shorter because of the fender? bris650. The seat is actually just a "Guts" cover & foam (tall/soft). Hope that helps.

Reply by Admin on 11/24/2008 6:18:29 PM
Originally posted by bris650
Simapg, sure looks great on your bike. I'd be interested on what mods you had to do to make it work. Thanks for responding. Its cold here in Michigan sure wish I could ride one more time before the snow flys Bris650
Honda Technical: XR650L to CRF450 Rear Fender Swap By Simapg

Reply by Ecksarelle on 11/24/2008 9:45:33 PM
Good job Simapg, nice detailed write-up with great images. The fender reinforcements are wise. I love how the tool pouch sits below the seat of the Pig with the CR450 fender in place. Overall, I like the look of the fender better than the Maier rear, but dangit, now I gotta find a CRF450 rear fender in black! ~Ecks

Reply by Trijack on 12/03/2008 10:09:44 AM
Couple of questions for all you guys who did the rear fender mod; do you not bother with the turn signals? How are you addressing license plate mounting?

Would like to clean up the back end, but not willing to drop signals, and an improperly mounted, bent, beat up plate is another compromise I'm not willing to make.

Reply by Ecksarelle on 12/03/2008 11:02:42 AM
Trijack, Stock rear turn signals can remain with any fender mod, so no issues there. As for the license plate mounting...there are 2 general ways to go:

1) Choose a rear tail light assembly that contains a "built-in" plate mount (there a numerous choices: Baja designs, Edge II, etc.). The plate mounting area is typically plastic. It allows the plate to be bolted on using the plate's bolt pattern & "hangs down" at an angle as to allow for easy viewing of the plate from the rear. (Don't forget to look for an assembly with plate illumination per your local ordinances).
022.JPG
Plate Mount
022.JPG (8.88 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
Mounts of this type will leave the plate vulnerable to bending from a get-off. I looped-out the Pig on a hill once and bent the plate pretty good. Luckily the plate bends back readily. Better a bent plate than busted mount IMHO. Plus, a plate in pristine condition is seldom seen on a dirt-worthy BRP so I'm fine with it, but if it's a concern, just don't fall .

2) Bolt the plate directly to the stock fender. Before I swapped-out the rear fender on the Pig, my first mod was to retain the stock rear fender and only "change-out" the stock TV set tail light for an aftermarket tail light which mounted in the same location on the fender as the stocker.
MaierDiscGuard-far.jpg
First Mod
Because the stock rear fender of the Pig has enough curve, the plate was visible from the rear when bolted to the stock fender behind the aftermarket tail light. The aftermarket tail light had some "built in", albeit dim, plate illumination.

Honestly, although I was thrilled to shed the stock tail light with this first mod, I was never really happy with the overall look and I hated the tail light (a crappy POS from a firm called (A.H MacLaughlin's "Four Strokes Only"). IMO steer clear of this firm. ~Ecks

Reply by bris650 on 02/19/2009 11:37:51 AM
All. just finished fender swap as posted by simapg. pretty straight forward if you follow the instructions exactly. Did take a little finessing to shape the bottom of the fender where it meets the attachment bolts but fit, cut, fit, cut etc. Fabricated the support brackets as mentioned in article and it made the fender rock solid and it looks way better than stock. Thanks simapg for doing such a good job with article and pics. Brian Bris650

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30350 © 2016 4Strokes.com

SPONSOR