85 XR350R Won't Start (Valves)

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

85 XR350R Won't Start (Valves)

Post by 4Strokes » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:02 pm

Topic: 1985 xr350 help
Author: random-strike
Posted: 12/28/2006 4:33:15 PM

hey all, I bought a 1985 xr350r that was in the last flood up in Washington for $200. the bike is in really nice shape and all original, with a trail timer and some other stuff. It has the dry sump oiling system, it didn't have any oil in it when i got it, i took the drain plug out and a little bit of water and a tiny bit of oil came out. When i kick over the bike some water comes out of the case breather, i did this and got a lot of the water out. i also tipped it over and some came out. I also took off the plugs where you adjust the valves and there is a tiny bit in the head. Right now, its not getting spark, i tried a bunch of plugs, and i also checked the kill switch. What should i replace first, is there anything that is likely to go out that i should try? also, how do you hook up the clutch cable on these bikes? there doesn't seem to be a place to found the cable near the lever on the case. also, there is a handle where the clutch is supposed to be, but it seems to control the compression release. The guys i bought it from didn't know why it didn't have spark. I took the seat off and everything to clean the carb out , and the wires that go to the coil were unplugged from the harness. Ok, so now it has spark, and i sprayed some starter fluid in the carb, and cylinder. it won't start, and it wont even pop off. whats the deal?

Reply by 4StroKen on 12/29/2006 12:18:50 PM
spark good. fuel? compression? timing should be good (hard to F that up). check valve adjustment .003" intake .005" exhaust (close enough). new oil right? oh ya Welcome to the site!

Reply by pagey9876 on 12/29/2006 3:04:24 PM
is there any trace of oil in head, ie when u kick it over or if u try bump starting it then water would come out of exhaust, is compression ok?, is petrol gettin into cylinder?

Reply by pagey9876 on 12/29/2006 3:05:38 PM
i meant water in head not oil

Reply by random-strike on 12/29/2006 5:26:35 PM
ytea there was some water in the head, i got most of it out. but i want to run the engine for about a minute to get oil through everything, then drain and change the oil again

Reply by pagey9876 on 12/29/2006 10:48:57 PM
i had a problem b4 when water got into head, i had a spark, fuel was getting through and compression was ok but because there was a tiny bit of water still left in the head it wouldn't fire. so wot i had 2 do was bump start it 4 like an hour, hard graft but it fired eventually, you wont b able 2 run the oil round if it wont fire. if u take the tappet inspection covers off and pour a little oil in them and u have oil in crankcase, then u shouldn't have a problem with the lubing of the components. if the oil pump is working and it is mechanical it should work straight off the kick.

Reply by random-strike on 12/30/2006 12:38:25 AM
interesting pagey i never realized that. im going to pull start the shit out of it tomorrow and see if i can get it to fire. how long did it take for you? a lot of pulling i bet

Reply by tikigod65 on 12/30/2006 12:43:52 PM
Was there any sand or silt that came out? Try pulling your cdi box and putting it in a parts oven I bet there is still moisture in it. Have you tried pulling the oil filter to see what you get out of there? Let me know what you discover.

Reply by random-strike on 12/30/2006 3:45:29 PM
the first couple times i kicked it over some mud came out of the plug hole. other than that, its just watery nasty oil

Reply by random-strike on 12/30/2006 6:58:06 PM
i got it started woo hoo! needed valves adjusted.
xr350r_1.jpg
xr350r_2.jpg
xr350r_3.jpg
xr350r_4.jpg
xr350r_5.jpg
xr350r_6.jpg
xr350r_7.jpg
Reply by pagey9876 on 12/31/2006 1:57:29 PM
wot so that was all that was wrong with it?

Reply by random-strike on 12/31/2006 2:32:40 PM
well i had to clean out the carb a couple times, but yea i adjusted the valves and it started right up

Reply by corky on 01/03/2007 5:35:38 PM
That is the same motor that was in you 350X. Looks like you need a new Uni filter. I would drain the oil and change oil filter to make sure you get rid of all the moisture and mud. Remember it use your clutch when shifting. That 6 spd trans is about the only weak spot with that bike. If you need parts let me know. Good luck, Corky

Reply by random-strike on 01/04/2007 7:55:20 PM
thanks, its close to the same motor as in my 350x, but this one on the bike is radial valves or some crap. i always use the clutch just a force of habit or something. I've put a couple filters in during the process :) it runs pretty good, took it for about a 3 hour ride yesterday.

Reply by DGXR on 01/05/2007 10:10:59 AM
Looks like a good bike, and congrats on getting her running! Looks like all your hard work finally paid off. These things are tons of fun. Those plastics should clean up pretty well, this site has some articles on that. I used fine steel wool and some elbow grease to get the oxidation off mine. There are two things to watch out for on these bikes: they have a weak 3rd gear and the 350s tend to run hot for some reason. Those are really the only things to watch out for. I pound the crap out of my 500 and haven't had one bit of trouble. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the site!

Reply by random-strike on 01/05/2007 8:26:42 PM
thanks for the info. my 350x ran pretty hot, it had an oil cooler... but i put crappy oil in it and it wore the rings really fast. im putting GN4 honda air cooled 4 stroke oil in this one, 10w40 hopefully it wont lose its viscosity when it gets really hot

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25418 © 2016 4Strokes.com

2Pilgrims1
Rides: Motorcycles
Vehicles: Ford Ranger, Ford T-Bird, Honda car

Re: 85 XR350R Won't Start (Valves)

Post by 2Pilgrims1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:59 am

I presume you removed exhaust system and got all the water out? If you have a good blur spark? the beast should fire? Or your valves are out of adjustment? Just my 2 cents worth!

2Pilgrims1

Post by 2Pilgrims1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Drain the carb. remove and clean, remove total exhaust system, drain old oil, you may need to remove right side clutch cover and lean bike to the right and make sure that side is drained. your left side has a drain plug, then go to the drain plug on the frame which is right behind front fender and has a braided oil line connected to it. You'll also want to replace oil filter in the right side case cover, it has 3, 8mm headed bolts holding cover on. And replace air box foam filter. Check all breather hose from crank case and valve cover case. I would also remove left side magneto cover that has the 2 inspection ports for the timing of the crank and valves. Clean gas tank. The next question to get answered is! How long has the bike sat after the flood and you took possession? If it sat for a long period of time you might as well go through the top end?

JoeRC51

Post by JoeRC51 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:01 am

12 year old thread , I'd think he got it running by now. :lol:

2Pilgrims1

Post by 2Pilgrims1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:00 am

You never know? I've seen scooters set in the barn for 20 years because the owner said he couldn't start it!

SPONSOR