Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
Oldlonely
Rides: M109R, GSX750F, KLR650, XR400R, 6 x CX500 and 2 x RL250.

XR400R Carb

Post by Oldlonely » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi all, have just joined the forum and this is my first post. Joined as I have just bought a 2003 XR400R. It was a relatively inexpensive purchase as the young guy that owned it could not get it to start or run. I have never heard it run either but took a leap of faith and bought it anyway. That's the good news. The bad news is that it seems he has messed with everything and nothing I have looked at so far seems to be as Mr Honda intended. (cut wires, wrong bolts etc etc)
I have cut a very small amount off the coil lead and reattached it it to coil, which seems to have fixed the no spark issue.
Tried everything and still wouldn't start so now have removed the carburetor to give it a clean. Have ordered the missing baffle from Honda and have just checked the jets which leads me to my question.
I don't have a shop manual as yet and want to go back to standard jetting as a starting point.
The main jet is a 162 and the slow jet is 55. Can someone please advise what numbers the standard jets should be ?
Thank you.

4Strokes
Site Admin

Re: XR400R Carb

Post by 4Strokes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:03 am

Welcome to the Honda forums on 4Strokes.com!

I would caution going back to stock jetting if the bike doesn't have the stock exhaust with baffle, airbox snorkel and stock engine internals. It would run extremely lean otherwise. Not knowing your elevation, that sounds close to what others have run.

This topic gives suspected stock jetting if the carb is a PDK1C: viewtopic.php?t=723

Here are lots of XR400R carb setups based on elevation: page/xr400r-setups

Oldlonely
Rides: M109R, GSX750F, KLR650, XR400R, 6 x CX500 and 2 x RL250.

Re: XR400R Carb

Post by Oldlonely » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:37 am

Hi, thank you for your reply and the information. Don't really think that elevation will be an issue for me. My XR has stock exhaust, muffler and airbox. Have never heard the bike run but would assume all stock engine internals.
Engine condition is also unknown but hopefully a compression test will reveal some more information..
Also found that the mixture screw had been wound all of the way in but unfortunately didn't discover this until after I had removed the carb from the bike. Think i did see PD or PDK on the carb somewhere.
Will get it apart tomorrow and it can have a long bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Thank you again for the welcome and the links.

Return to “Honda Community”

SPONSOR