Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
kherb
Rides: 1985 XR200R

1985 XR200r

Post by kherb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 am

Hey everyone. I’m new here and am hoping to find some expertise, wisdom or any kind of help possible to diagnose some of my issues with my lovely old 1985 XR200r. Of course, I’m also excited to find other fellow owners of this sweet bike :)
This bike is the 4 valve RFVC engine that was only built in 84-85. It has dual carbs.

I purchased this bike about five-six years ago and it’s the only dirt bike I’ve ever owned or drove. The only major repair I’ve done was the top cylinder head was rebuilt in 2012. Other than that it’s been minor things like replacing the throttle cable, chain guard, chain and of course the regular oil changes and air filter cleanings. I’m not the most mechanically inclined but I’ve been learning and have had my dad and brother help me with some of the more intimidating things to fix.

I’ve always had issues starting this bike after it’s been running and warm regardless of whether I turned it off with the kill switch or whether I stalled it. A friend mentioned it was likely the valve clearance levels so I recently checked and adjusted them as they were a little too loose. However, that didn’t seem to fix the issue and when I try and kick it over it sounds as though it’s not even trying to fire (video link below). After speaking with him further he suggested checking to see if there’s spark at the plug as it could be a coil, stator or a faulty kill switch.

Anyone have any suggestions? How difficult/expensive is it to test/replace the coil? I assume it’s different than the CDI?
As well, sometimes when I’m shifting gears it seems to almost get stuck and it just revs until I can finally get it to switch gears. What is likely the reasoning for this?

Here’s a video of me trying to start the bike after it’s been running and it’s still warm. It doesn’t seem to even want to fire.

Here’s a video of my bike from a few years ago. You may seem some ‘smoke’ coming off the engine but it was simply some cleaner smoking off that I got on the engine.

Any suggestions, guidance, comments or words of wisdom would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Dirt bike wire resized.png
1985 xr200r wiring
Dirt Bike resized 2.jpg
1985 xr200r
Dirt bike resized.jpg
1985 xr200r

4Strokes
Site Admin

Re: 1985 XR200r

Post by 4Strokes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:24 am

Hello and welcome, kherb. Does the bike's compression (pressure that you feel when kicking over) still feel the same as before? It looks like the compression might be low and would cause hard starting. Checking for fuel in the carb and spark at the plug would be the next logical step.

kherb
Rides: 1985 XR200R

Post by kherb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:00 am

4Strokes wrote:Hello and welcome, kherb. Does the bike's compression (pressure that you feel when kicking over) still feel the same as before? It looks like the compression might be low and would cause hard starting. Checking for fuel in the carb and spark at the plug would be the next logical step.
Yes, the pressure feels the same as before when trying to kick it over. I recently checked the valves with feeler gauges and made adjustments as necessary but it didn't seem to help too much. I believe I changed the spark plug in June/July 2017 and have hardly had it running since that time. Do you think it could be issues with the coil or stator?

2Pilgrims1
Rides: Motorcycles
Vehicles: Ford Ranger, Ford T-Bird, Honda car

Post by 2Pilgrims1 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:42 am

Do you have a crisp blue spark when you check the plug? If so you can rule out the coil or stator. Next take a compression test. and valves set correctly your owners manual will give you the range on both. The starting problem you have sounds like a carburetor problem' I'm not sure but you may need to look at your air screw adjustment? If you remove it be careful you don't lose the little "0" ring and spring, clean the port good. Also on a hot engine start with these bikes it's best to cut the gas off. hold the throttle wide open and kick the starter half dozen times, turn on gas, no choke and keep hand off throttle with idle adjustment screw set properly. Bring piston up to TDC on the compression stroke with kick starter, push kick starter down until you feel it hard then give it a good kick! Naturally all above has to be right!

Return to “Honda Community”

SPONSOR