XR650L - Brakes Help!

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
treydouglass
Rides: Motorcycles
Vehicles: Honda XR650L

XR650L - Brakes Help!

Postby treydouglass » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:14 am

Hi folks,
I'm having an issue with my front disc brakes (XR650L). I got some new tires recently, put them on myself, and when I went to put the front tire back on and slid the disc brake back into the pads (which I really did not touch when I removed the wheel), I noticed that the front brakes had lost all compression. No resistance when I squeeze them. They were working just fine before I removed the front tire. So I took the brake pads out, replaced them, took the pads spring out, it seemed fine, still nothing. So I figure some air got into the brake line? I bled the brakes, per the instructions I found in my repair manual and online, and I'm still getting nothing after multiple attempts to bleed the brakes. I replaced a lot of the brake fluid when I bled the brakes. Still nothing. Can anyone help me do some trouble shooting? I'm not the most mechanically inclined XR650L owner, that could certainly be the problem.
Thanks!

4Strokes
Site Admin

Re: XR650L - Brakes Help!

Postby 4Strokes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am

Hi treydouglass,
It sounds like you have air in the system. You need to keep pumping the brake lever on the handlebar until the pressure starts building up. These small master cylinders can take a while to pump up. Try pumping the lever faster for several minutes. Sometimes it helps to lightly tap the brake caliper at the wheel with a rubber or soft plastic mallet to help work out any trapped air.

treydouglass
Rides: Motorcycles
Vehicles: Honda XR650L

Re: XR650L - Brakes Help!

Postby treydouglass » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 am

Great! Thanks for the advice. I'll try it again - I was only pumping maybe 10-15x.

Return to “Honda Community”