XR's Only Oil Temp Dip Stick

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
bobframe
Rides: XR650L, R1200GSA

XR's Only Oil Temp Dip Stick

Postby bobframe » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:20 am

Considering an XR's Only thermometer dip stick but I want to be sure that the dip stick portion still gives an accurate reading of oil "depth". IOW, I dont want to gain a thermometer and lose my ability to measure oil status.

If you've had experience with this, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Bob

Talking about this: http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-oil-temperature-dip-stick-honda-xr650l

https://bobframe.smugmug.com/organize/XR-650L

JoeRC51

Re: XR's Only Oil Temp Dip Stick

Postby JoeRC51 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:14 pm

You can't see the oil level on them very well at all. Use the dipstick for checking.

dman3998

Postby dman3998 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:04 pm

I roughed up the temp stick with sandpaper and painted it white you can see the oil a lot better, especially when its got a few miles on it and gets a little dirty

Bistineau
Rides: 2012 Honda XR650L

Postby Bistineau » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:15 am

It IS a bit difficult to see the oil level, especially with newer oil. But then the original dipstick was not a whole lot easier to read either with fresh oil. By the time it get's dirty enough to easily see it, it is about time to change it anyway. What I did notice about mine is that the markings for the 250* temp is almost directly in line with the direction of travel. Mine usually runs about 250* at full operating temperature unless ambient temps are in the mid 90's or above, then it may go as high as 280 or so. It's kind of handy like this, as I can glance down at it, and if the needle is pointing straight ahead then I know my temp is right about where it should be. Does anyone else notice theirs being situated like this? Which way does yours point when it is at normal operating temps?

Return to “Honda Community”