XR650L Interlock Bypass

Introduce yourself, what you ride, post pics, seek or offer help, general chit-chat.
4Strokes
Site Admin

XR650L Interlock Bypass

Postby 4Strokes » Mon May 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Topic: XR650L interlock bypass
Author: dave_cl
Posted: 03/11/2004 7:14:37 PM

This advises on how to do a bypass if you a) break a switch (or a diode) and are stuck on the trail or b) remove the kickstand switch because you remove/change the kickstand, etc. You are bypassing a safety system, and are warned that these systems are there for a reason, so do any mods at your own risk. I broke my kickstand switch, and waded through the schematic.

First, the be-all and end-all bypass if you get stuck.
  1. Take both wires off the clutch switch.
  2. connect them together.
  3. ground them.
Shazam, all safeties bypassed- neutral, clutch switch, kickstand, for starting and running. This bypasses all safety switches and all diodes. One of the wires provides the ground path for the starter relay, the other grounds the CDI sense wire. All the safeties are on the ground side of the starter relay, so the switches must be in the correct position to provide a path to ground for the relay current. There is also a CDI sensor wire that must be grounded for the bike to run, connected to the same circuit.

The kickstand switch:
  • The GREEN wire is connected to FRAME GROUND.
  • The YELLOW/BLACK wire goes to the SIDESTAND LIGHT in the cluster. The light goes on when this wire is grounded.
  • The GREEN/WHITE wire connects to the CLUTCH SWITCH and the CDI SENSE wire. Bike runs when this wire is GROUNDED.
Kickstand DOWN grounds the dash light, kickstand UP grounds the CDI SENSE wire. To bypass just the kickstand switch, connect the GREEN and the GREEN/WHITE wires. Of course, the bike will now start and run with the stand down, so extra care must be exercised. Anyone have any neat ideas for what to do with the now controllable dash light?

Reply by dave_cl on 06/14/2007 5:03:27 PM
If folks are going to ref. this post I'll add the link to the pic.
xr650l-safeties.gif

Dave

Reply by viperx on 03/07/2015 06:24:30 AM
thanks for the info! After looking through this thread carefully, I found the green plug under the seat, then jumpered between the two green wires with solder and taped everything back up. Works perfect. Kickstand light and al other safeties work just fine. I was hoping to se this mod to make it easier to oil the chain- block the rear end up and let iit idle in 1st. zztried it yesterday but the bike doesn't like to idle with the wheel freespinnin. Might have to try a taller gear or aftr its warmed up.

Reply by dave_cl on 03/12/2015 12:17:48 PM
Watch your fingers! There's a series of pics from someone who was not...

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11894 © 2016 4Strokes.com

mads
Rides: XR650l
DRZ400s

Re: XR650L Interlock Bypass

Postby mads » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:41 am

viperx,

Do you unplug the green plug and connect the green wires inside the connector? Or do you cut the 2 green wires and connect them? If you unplug the connector then the kickstand light won't work right?

Thanks...

mads
Rides: XR650l
DRZ400s

Re: XR650L Interlock Bypass

Postby mads » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:33 am

I found an easy way of disabling the kickstand safety switch.

I found an easy way of disabling the kickstand safety switch so that when in gear you still see the kickstand light on on the dashboard if the kickstand is down, but the motorcycle will start.

I use one of the following quick splicing connectors:
IMG_0549.JPG

These splicing connectors have a plastic stop in the middle of the rear channel. Use a knife to break that stop out so that you can feed 2 wires in parallel, one in each channel. On the kickstand side of the green connector under the seat, insert the green and green-and-white wires into the connector and use pliers to push down on the metal blade. Close plastic lid. When done it should look like this:
IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Here is how it works:

Return to “Honda Community”