XR650L Clarke Tank Stabilizer

Existing technical info specific to Honda.
Respond to topics with questions or comments.
4Strokes
Site Admin

XR650L Clarke Tank Stabilizer

Postby 4Strokes » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Clarke XR650L Gas Tank Stabilizer - Flat Steel Version
I was never really satisfied with the side-to-side stability of my Clarke 4.7 gallon tank after installation on my 2004 Honda XR650L. This is an easy 30-minute job, and the tank will be rock solid afterwards. All at a $3.00 investment. -Dave

tankstay01.jpg
tankstay02.jpg
  1. Remove the metal cross bar that connects the two sides of the tank. (Save in case you sell tank.)
  2. Get a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" flat steel from Home Depot or other hardware store.
  3. Rough cut a piece long enough to reach from the Clarke tank stud to the old mount for the original tank wings. (You will trim to size later.)
  4. Drill a 1/4" hole in one end of the first brace.
  5. Temporarily mount one end to see where your bends will be, and start making small bends in a vise, (going back and forth to check progress) until both ends fall into the correct position. There is not a lot of bending required. Just small adjustments here and there. The 1/8" steel stock is easy to work with, but strong when finished.
  6. When both ends are fit, mark and drill another 1/4" hole at the other end.
  7. Mount the first brace and repeat for the other side.
  8. When both braces are done, trim excess metal from ends, round corners with bench grinder, and paint to your liking.
Clarke XR650L Gas Tank Stabilizer - Heavy Steel Wire Version
tankstay03.jpg
tankstay04.jpg
This version is by MarkN and jjones006.

Keywords: Clarke tank stay

Credits: Dave Sawyer (pics and article), Paul Stenhouse (idea), edited and published by 4Strokes.com.

billsxr

Re: XR650L Clarke Tank Stabilizer

Postby billsxr » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks will do the 1/8 inch steel to my tank.

Return to “Honda Technical Reference”