Existing technical info specific to Honda.
Respond to topics with questions or comments.
Reanimator
Rides: 2016 XR650L
Vehicles: Nothing but bikes!

Re: Dave's Carb Mods

Post by Reanimator » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:21 pm

JoeRC51 wrote:What do you mean by ''desnorkled times two'' ?
It was in conjunction of the "screw California" once and again (twice) for desnorkeling the bike. I can see how that could be confusing.

Reanimator

Post by Reanimator » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Now it is starting to look, normal. Left is after all of Dave's mods and a 50 mile ride. So the plug is fresh still. The one on the right.. well what can I say. It's a result of a stock carb and no mods. Looks like it was running ultra lean.. should I still be skeptical about the left?
Attachments
20180409_212722.jpg
Plug with mods, plug without..

treydouglass
Rides: Motorcycles
Vehicles: Honda XR650L

Post by treydouglass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 am

Your spark plug looks good Reanimator.

I'm in the middle of the carb mods, by carb is currently disassembled with new jets ready to be installed. My question - and understand that I have no idea what I'm doing other than what I read about the carb mods on this forum - is, what happens if I don't file down the mixture screw? I'm not sure I understand that purpose of filing it down. Also, if I really have to file it down - I don't have the proper tools. Any suggestions?

JoeRC51

Post by JoeRC51 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:12 pm

The fuel screw has a tab on it that hits a tab on the float bowl. This is to limit how far you can open the fuel screw for emissions purposes. Leave the tab on the screw head and file the tab off of the float bowl , the tab makes it easier to turn the screw and it also makes it easier to tell where you're turning the to.

treydouglass

Post by treydouglass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks Joe - but once you unscrew and remove the float bowl, it isn't in the way any more, and you can adjust the screw (to 2 1/4 turns out). And then just put the float bowl back on. Am I missing something? I guess I still don't understand why it's necessary to file down the tab.

JoeRC51

Post by JoeRC51 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:21 pm

treydouglass wrote:Thanks Joe - but once you unscrew and remove the float bowl, it isn't in the way any more, and you can adjust the screw (to 2 1/4 turns out). And then just put the float bowl back on. Am I missing something? I guess I still don't understand why it's necessary to file down the tab.
So you can adjust it if necessary WITH the float bowl ON.

treydouglass

Post by treydouglass » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 am

Gotcha - thanks for clarifying Joe, very helpful.

Reanimator

Post by Reanimator » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 pm

On my 2016 Xr650l, I gotta d-type air-fuel screw on my carb and I adjusted it 2 1/4 turn as specified on this website and got it dialed in. Every bike is different and takes adjustments here and there. Trust me after all of the work, you will have something beautiful that will have you saying, "Yeah, I did that"! Keep going you're doing well!

treydouglass

Post by treydouglass » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 am

Hey fellas,
I'm back. After a couple months, I completed the carb mods with new jets, adjusted for local altitude (5,280ft.). I finished the mods, took the bike out 2 weekends ago and rode around the neighborhood, for just a couple miles, and everything seemed to be working fine. The bike started much better, which is great. Got all excited and took the bike out yesterday to do a longer trail ride outside Denver, and got about 100 yards before the bike just completely shut down and started leaking fuel. Looks like the gas is leaking out of the carb, specifically from a hose that comes from either the bottom or the side of the carb, I can't tell. But the hose is attached to the carb, and the other end is unattached and just hanging below the carb (I think that's where the fuel is coming out). When I turn off the fuel, it stops leaking; when I turn it on, it starts leaking. I must have screwed something up when I put the carb back in after working on it? I'm not sure. Really frustrated now, not only because I couldn't ride yesterday - lots of work for nothin' - but I also have a longer trip coming up next month and really wanted to have the bike ready. So, any ideas how I might have screwed up? Is there supposed to be an open-ended hose coming out of the bottom or side of the carb? It isn't the fuel line, I checked that. Any suggestions?

I wanted to do all the work myself, but may just have to take it to a mechanic that knows what he's doing so I can hopefully have the bike ready by next month. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good mechanic in Denver? Thanks again.

JoeRC51

Post by JoeRC51 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Your float valve is sticking or has debris in it. Towards the bottom of the carb , on the left side I believe , is a brass slotted screw , that's your float bowl drain. Open the screw about one turn and let the gas run out , turn the petcock on until gas comes out again and close the screw. Sometimes this will flush crap out of the valve. See is it still overflows now. You can try this a couple of times , but if it still overflows , you have to take the float bowl off of the carb. You can hook up the fuel line with the float bowl off and gas should normally stop flowing when you lift the float. If not , either it has something in between the needle and seat or they're worn or varnished from old gas sitting in the carb.

Return to “Honda Technical Reference”

SPONSOR