XR650L Oil Cooler by Rotorcraft

Existing technical info specific to Honda.
Respond to topics with questions or comments.
4Strokes
Site Admin

XR650L Oil Cooler by Rotorcraft

Postby 4Strokes » Sat May 21, 2016 10:04 am

I bought a small oil cooler of ebay. It's a Lockhart measures 8" x 2.5" x 1". Boy is it nice, all aluminum construction and very lighweight. I have all the parts to start installing. Now I just need to figure out where to put it. I'm thinking about cutting some holes and installing it into the LH side gas tank shroud. (cutting the black plastic only) there should be plenty of room. I'll have to beef up the plastic to be able to handle the extra weight. I'd really like to plum it in with steel lines to keep a stock appearance (I really don't like hose clamps the appearance looks cheap.) The problem is to go from metric to inches. Haven't really researched it yet, may be easy, may be hard.

Here it is, finally got it all installed. Haven't had a chance to ride yet because it's been raining all day 3.5 inches. I did get it leak checked and no leaks. Ran it long enough to get the oil to warm a little and the cooler did also warm up as well. Checked the oil level and supprised to see that it took 3/4 of a quart(extra capacity I like that). Checked the oil check bolt on the R/H side of the engine and the level is right where it's supposed to be. I don't know how the well the air will flow through the faring, may need to cut some more breathing holes in it, we'll see after a few rides and how low the temp drops to. I guess the hardest part was picking a location for the cooler, I actually wanted it more out in the open but settled for the faring. You can't see anything execpt for the cooler from a front view and one oil line on the L/H side of the engine.

Took it for a spin today. Normal operating temp before the cooler was 260f going 75 mph on the hwy, today I couldn't get it above 220f at 75 mph on the hwy. Thats a 40f difference. I'm sure I could get it lower than that if I cut more breathing holes in the faring, gona hold off on that and get a better trend. No matter how or where I rode my bike always ended up at 250f, I just wanted the oil to run a little cooler than that. This mod has obviously done that for me. Glad I did it.The total cost of my engine oil cooler project was less than $50, which includes a Lockhart oil cooler at $40, 3/8" oil tubing at $6, and 4 hose clamps at $3. I had the louvers and everything else used in the modification.

oil_cooler_2.jpg
Lockhart Oil Cooler on XR650L

oil_cooler_2a.jpg
Oil Cooler Shroud Louvers

oil_cooler_2b.jpg
Lockhart Oil Cooler in Shroud

oil_cooler_2c.jpg
Engine Oil Cooler Lines

oil_cooler_2d.jpg
Engine Oil Cooler Connections

Credits: Mod and article by Rotorcraft. Edited and published by 4Strokes.com.

noble150
Rides: Honda XR650L/2003

Re: XR650L Oil Cooler by Rotorcraft

Postby noble150 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Looks great!

Return to “Honda Technical Reference”