Ricky Stator Rip Off!

Topics specific to mfrs not listed & other misc topics.
4Strokes
Site Admin

Ricky Stator Rip Off!

Postby 4Strokes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Topic: Ricky Stator Rip Off!
Author: MDD0127
Posted: 01/13/2005 2:59:08 PM

I posted this in another section, but I want to make sure no one else gets ripped off. Someone recommended that I buy a stator for my xl600r from Ricky Stator. The first one they sent had loose coils and no epoxy coating, so I sent it back. They returned the unit with tighter coils and epoxy on half of it. I installed the stator on my bike, filled it up with oil, and rode to the gas station. I checked the oil at the gas station and it was fine. After I rode the bike to work and back I noticed strange noises coming from the engine. It puked all of it's oil out of the grommet for the stator wiring. I have over $2000 in this bike, and now due to a junky product, my bike is worthless. The wires going through the grommet are too small to make a seal. I contacted Ricky Stator and they said they will only deal with warranty issues on the stator itself, not the damage it caused. Buyer beware! Ricky Stator isn't serious about quality products or customer service. If anyone else has had similar experiences with them please let me know. I'm going to have to sue them. I don't know what else to do.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 01/13/2005 4:08:14 PM
So I am guessing you are now going to have to rebuild your engine? That really sucks when a company won't back their faulty products, or any damage caused from their products. It is obvious that they are in the wrong if the wires were smaller then the openings in the grommet. Keep us posted on your outcome. By the way welcome to the forum.

Reply by doubleodevine on 01/13/2005 4:23:14 PM
Don't forget to keep track of all your times and dates of any contact whether it be phone, mail, or email. parents have lost a couple cases because they couldn't provide all that info. good luck.

Reply by kubiak on 01/13/2005 4:44:25 PM
i got a ricky stator about 8 months ago and haven't any trouble yet.i will watch out for the grommet though. thanks

Reply by XR4DEZ on 01/13/2005 9:25:17 PM
I've seen guys fill that grommet and wires with silicone for additional seal.

Reply by kubiak on 01/14/2005 08:20:38 AM
i was just thinking and i remember now that i did have a leak at the grommet,i put silicone like xr4dez said and its been perfect since.

Reply by roosterk0031 on 01/14/2005 12:04:44 PM
No issues with my stator or Ricky's service. Haven't looked really close at that grommet, but not puddle in its parking space in 9 months. David

Reply by MDD0127 on 01/25/2005 2:39:32 PM
I took the motor apart and the cam was worn out. The rings and tranny seem OK. I'm still mad about the whole deal, because I know that the lifespan of the whole engine was affected. I've never sued anyone and I guess I'll keep it that way for now. Lawyers are expensive, and I just moved to Cortez, CO, and have no job. If anyone is from that area let me know and we'll go ride. I hear the trails in Utah are cool.

Reply by MDD0127 on 01/25/2005 2:41:55 PM
Oh yeah, I found some stuff called Import Gasket Maker at the auto parts store and it sealed that piece of crap up good.

Reply by Ironhydroxide on 01/27/2005 07:09:17 AM
if you are coming to northern Utah, I wouldn't mind riding a little with you. Email me if you are.

Reply by mtnbikr on 01/14/2006 9:11:44 PM
I was searching the forums for this exact problem. I just bought and installed a Ricky Stator for my 97 XR 400. The piece of shit leaked straight away around the grommet! I measured the width of the gasket. it was almost a full .100" narrower than stock - no wonder it wouldn't seal, no compression. I went and bought some Blue RTV silicone gasket maker and plugged up the gap...I'll find out if it holds tomorrow.

DO NOT BUY RICKY STATOR products...lousy quality control!

Reply by b_king on 01/15/2006 09:31:05 AM
I don't know about this thread. Seems rather opinionated to me. I bought the Ricky Stator and have had no problems whatsoever with it. No leaks, perfect seal, 10w more than it said it put out. The coils were nice and tight but weren't covered in epoxy which didn't bother me because my 250's stator is almost identical. Maybe you guys are just having bad luck, they make quality products in my opinion, but every bike has a different history and could or could not have issues you don't know about.

As for the customer service, when I bought mine off of ebay, I paid by paypal upfront and everything, then noticed the shipping charges were outrageous, around $25 US to ship from Quebec to Ontario. So I called them up and they lowered it to the $15 it should have been, then to $10 for my troubles. Yes, $5 is really nothing, but its the little things companies do that make it count. The stator also arrived the day after I bought it.

Sorry to here about your guys bad luck though.

Reply by porterdog on 01/19/2006 1:51:41 PM
Heh, that's interesting indeed. I have a used '03 XR400R with a RS stator and it also began to leak via the grommet! I blamed the PO for not putting it in right, but so far (fingers crossed) some blue RTV may have taken care of the issue.

FWIW, mine also leaked around the outside of the grommet and through the wire holes. It was a biatch to get it all clean so the RTV would stick. Robert

Reply by mtnbikr on 01/19/2006 5:41:57 PM
The kicker is I sent a note to Ricky Stator requesting an RA# as I was not happy. They replied they would send out a 'improved' version. Hey, here's an idea...I'd like to get the correct product from the get-go! Not have to waste a new gasket and my time. We'll see if they even send the replacement..they've been lousy on responsiveness.

Reply by Toy4tg on 03/20/2006 05:29:40 AM
I just put one of ricky's on my xr600 and it is working great! If you took notice when you took your old stator off, there is some sealant around the grommet that you must remove, and then replace it when you install the new one. You have to do this from the inside of the grommet.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16395 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Other Mfrs & Misc Topics”