Airoh S4 Helmet Review

Topics specific to mfrs not listed & other misc topics.
4Strokes
Site Admin

Airoh S4 Helmet Review

Postby 4Strokes » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:51 am

Topic: My Airoh helmet review (similar to Arai XD)
Author: alankulwicki7
Posted: 09/19/2007 10:00:23 PM

When I bought my first street legal motorcycle a few years ago, I just used my off-road helmet with goggles. Then I saw the Arai XD on this site and thought that it was a great idea. Unfortunately $450 or more for a helmet wasn't in my budget. Then about 6 months ago I came across the Airoh S4 on Ebay. It looked very similar to the Arai but at about $200-250 it was about 1/2 the price (and this included shipping from Europe). Then I found that the big problem with the Airoh brand is that they are not sold in the USA. They are made in Italy and sold in Europe. This could be a problem. Also the helmet is not DOT or Snell certified. I really didn't think this was a big problem because it is certified in Europe by ECU and also has an ACU Stamp by the British Motorcycle Union.

I did some more research and asked a bunch of questions here and at my local MC supply store. After thinking it over, I decided that I would buy the S4 if I ever came across a good deal on one. Well that happened a few weeks ago. I ended up finding a used (only twice, though) Airoh S4 for $100. Here are some pictures in the three different modes (with shield and visor, with shield only and with visor only):

airoh1.JPG
airoh2.JPG
airoh3.JPG

So far I am very happy with the helmet. The fit and finish is very good and I love the shield. It's much easier to open up the visor on warm days than to fight with my goggles. I'll probably save my other helmet for off-road use but the Airoh S4 is now my everyday helmet. JMO

Reply by 250f canuck on 09/20/2007 05:48:56 AM
Fixed your pictures. Nice helmet.

Reply by DIY650L on 09/21/2007 05:42:01 AM
Nice looking helmet!! How far does the shield open with the visor on? Is there any difference in buffeting with or without the visor?

Reply by Ecksarelle on 09/21/2007 12:31:42 PM
I agree that the Airoh is a nice looking alternative to the Arai. Can you talk about the sizing. ie., How are they sized (S, M, L, XL or is it European sizing)? What size did you buy and did it fit the same as your other helmet? What helmet did you have before and what size was that? Thanks, ~Ecks

Reply by alankulwicki7 on 09/21/2007 8:07:45 PM
Thanks for fixing my pictures. I'll have to write down the html you used for the thumbnails. Now to answer your questions:

For DIY650L:

1. I wish the visor opened more than it does. It opens most of the way but if it opened another 1/2"-3/4" it would be perfect. You might be able to modify it so it opens more but I'll probably just leave it as is.
  2. I have not tried it without the visor. I do notice a lot less buffeting than my other helmet (an O'Neal 812).
For Ecks:

1. It's sized in centimeters (cm). The large I bought is 59-60cm.
  2. I measured my head and then converted to cm and came up with a little over 59. When I compared it to my fitted baseball hats (which are 7 1/2), it worked out to about the same.
  3. My other helmet (an O'Neal 812) is an XL. The Airoh fits about the same in the head area but it's a little more snug around my cheeks. There also seems to be more padding in that area so my face doesn't get as cold on the cools days. I've also never had a helmet with a shield before so I don't know if that's the way they are made or just this helmet.
Hope this helps!

Reply by Ecksarelle on 09/23/2007 08:23:04 AM
Thanks for the input on the comparison sizing.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28205 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Other Mfrs & Misc Topics”