Tool Storage: Fender Bag or ?

Topics specific to mfrs not listed & other misc topics.
4Strokes
Site Admin

Tool Storage: Fender Bag or ?

Postby 4Strokes » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:42 am

Topic: Fender bag or ???
Author: Tough Guy
Posted: 03/20/2007 10:56:04 PM

I need something for tools etc...I had a Moose rear fender bag on my XR400R, but have considered a front fender bag for the WR any suggestions? Chris

Reply by kubiak on 03/20/2007 11:02:44 PM
i mounted a old stock atc 110 plastic toolbox on my xr650l.i got rid of the bag and put the toolbox under the side plate.

Reply by 250f canuck on 03/21/2007 07:14:56 AM
I've got a Yamaha fender bag on my rear fender. It holds small tools, wrenches and things like that. I keep all my paperwork and a few spare parts in it. I like it and don't even notice it when I ride. Nick

Reply by ThumperTDC on 03/23/2007 01:13:02 AM
I loved how my old XR250 had the rear fender bag. When I got my 400 I went out and got a nice fanny pack for all my tools. Now that fanny pack resides in a backpack I wear when out riding. You can fit alot more stuff in there, drinks snacks, just about anything one might want to fit in it.

Reply by Tough Guy on 03/24/2007 10:58:28 AM
Okay Thump, your vote is for a back pack...I have a back pack and I also have a Camelbak....should I just get a back pack that has a drink system also? Is the weight a problem on your back for balance or wear and tear on your lower back? I ride fairly fast through rough country and need all the advantages I can get. Thanks, Chris

Reply by 250f canuck on 03/24/2007 3:41:35 PM
I have used a back pack on occasion when I need to carry something like my lunch. In those cases I just put my hydration system in the back pack with my lunch and anything else I have. I just left the zipper open just a bit so the drink tube could come out. It worked fine.

This may sound weird, but I like the feeling of having something on my back when I ride and ballance is not a problem. If you are concerned about your lower back you might want to try a kidny belt, my Dad has one and likes it.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 03/24/2007 9:50:32 PM
Originally posted by Tough Guy
Okay Thump, your vote is for a back pack...I have a back pack and I also have a Camelbak... should I just get a back pack that has a drink system also? Is the weight a problem on your back for balance or wear and tear on your lower back? I ride fairly fast through rough country and need all the advantages I can get.
I really don't notice it much on my back while riding. My backpack has a waist belt as well as a strap between both shoulder straps, so I really don't notice it at all. I used to really notice the weight of the fanny pack. My lower back doesn't seem to notice the back pack at all. With or without it more time than not it is a little sore after a long day of riding. I have a nice Dakine backpack with a drinking bladder that I might start using, but my current backpack works well with a couple of water bottles. When I went on my Idaho ride back in 04 I was able to also strap 2 quarts of fuel onto the exterior of the backpack for a little more go juice. If you are kinda worried about using a back pack, go buy a cheap one to see how it will feel. Just remember the nicer ones will be that much more comfortable. Also I wear mine on the outside of my chest protector and I barely notice it.

As far as a kidney belt, I think that should be a must, for me it is so much more comfortable with one vs without one.

Reply by Tough Guy on 03/25/2007 12:11:27 PM
How confusing.. I already wear elbow guards, chest protector, knee guards etc...I also wear a Camelbak....I looked at kidney belts, now I am considering a Pressure Suit, Rockgardn or Ballistic jersey which comes with a kidney belt....A few guys I ride with have them, other then being a little hot in the summer, they offer good protection.

I like the idea of not having more dead weight strapped to the bike, but I have concerns about a higher center of gravity and the pull on my back all day, I have a good strong back, I just don't want to feel fatigued when riding all day either...

What about a chase bike with tools? J/K Chris

Reply by SpeedyManiac on 03/25/2007 12:54:06 PM
I wear a Camelbak and a separate fanny pack around my waist for tools. It's actually pretty comfortable.

Reply by Gearman on 06/02/2007 07:33:02 AM
I know this post is a bit late but here's my two cents. I now use a ogio back pack made just for motorcycling, a place to organize your tool and easy to get to when needed, a place for your Camelback bladder, lots of storage for jacket, padded goggle storage (for spare set), and room for lunch. I have used the fender pouch, fanny pack, and small hydration pack. The ogio system is so far the best. go to ogio's web site and click on "moto" the 1950 is very similar to what I have(2150) and check them out.

Reply by Tough Guy on 06/25/2007 11:45:14 PM
Your post isn't late at all..I haven't made a move yet. I will investigate your idea, thanks Chris

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26247 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Other Mfrs & Misc Topics”