WA Dual Sport Conversion

Post Reply
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 1215
Joined: May 02, 2016

WA Dual Sport Conversion

Post by 4Strokes » Sat May 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Topic: Washington Dual Sport Conversion
Author: joshg
Posted: 05/18/2004 09:59:07 AM

Does anybody have any experience converting a bike in Washington State? My neighbor has a Kawasaki 600 from the mid 90's he wants to get rid of and its at a reasonable price but I want the option to have a dual sport bike. Any help would be awesome. Josh

Reply by GG116 on 05/26/2004 6:37:34 PM
Josh, Conversion of off-road bikes for street use in the state of Washington has been illegal since 1999...which doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be done.
  1. If your title does not specify that the vehicle is for off-road use only, that's a good thing. However, if the vehicle has been off-road licensed in Washington in the past 20 years, forget it.
  2. There is a way to license new off-road Japanese bikes, but you must figure out a way to have the initial title generated in another state; there are only a handful of states in which this may be done, and I'm not aware of which ones they are. I think West Virginia is one, but I'm not absolutely certain.
  3. Most European bikes such as KTM, Gas Gas, Husaberg, and VOR can be street-licensed in Washington, as they are street-legal in Europe; the titles on the Enduro models do not normally specify an off-road use only caveat.
Perhaps I could be of more help if I knew the model - 'Kawasaki 600' is a little vague, but I'd guess that it's a KLR, which shouldn't be a problem to license, as this model has always been a true dual sport machine. Hope this helps. Scott/GG116

Reply by Ogre on 12/30/2005 09:05:07 AM
So I guess one with a 600R or 650R would be SOL in WA? Oregon isn't like that tho is it? Would it if the bike was purchased in Oregon, or could it be purchased here and licensed in Oregon? This of course is if it's new. If it were used, would it matter what state it's from, and if it were already legalized would it be granfathered?

Reply by ThumperTDC on 12/30/2005 12:17:03 PM
I have heard of alot of guys from washington down here to Oregon to get bikes registered or atleast try to. Not sure on how hard it is to do, since I have no desire to try to dual sport my bike. But its worth a shot.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13164 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Post Reply