Big Bear: Where to Camp and Ride

California
4Strokes
Site Admin

Big Bear: Where to Camp and Ride

Postby 4Strokes » Sun May 29, 2016 8:40 am

Topic: Big Bear, CA - Where to camp and ride?
Author: lisasxr4
Posted: 06/11/2003 12:02:22 PM

We camped at Big Pine Flats & Crab Flat last summer. When we went I had only had my bike for 1 week and 1 month. I'd never ridden before. About all the riding I did was the big wide road between the two campgrounds and few of the little side trails. I wasn't impressed that I could get some good mileage in.

We want to return because we hear about all the great riding. I'm doing better - now a year later - riding lots of blue trails (and black trails inside Hungry Valley).

Can anyone suggest any great rides to make the trip (in Orange County traffic) worth it? Thanks.

Reply by XRFireguy on 06/16/2003 3:09:52 PM
Hey there, I understand that Big Bear is a pain to ride around much without being a dual sporter. Maybe with the budget cuts going on there will be less rangers for the hassles. I am up for rides too so let me know when you guys are heading up to ride and I can tag along. The desert is too hot so I am starting to ride up on Palomar Mountain near Temecula. Lets RIDE!!!

Reply by MotoVet on 06/17/2003 03:50:03 AM
There's alot of fun trails around the PINNACLES CAMPGROUND / STAGING AREA. Route 189 (Blue Jay Area) / Left-North Bay Road / Left-Hwy 173 / Left-Trail Marker 3N34. Note: Hwy 173 turns into a dirt road. Buy a map of the area, or pick one up at the Ranger Station for trial routes. CHECKPOINT MC "BAD MOUNTAIN ENDURO" (Sept 21) also starts from the Pinnacles Campground.

Reply by lisasxr4 on 06/17/2003 07:28:33 AM
Thanks for the replys. We headed up to Crab Flats on Saturday - hoping to ride 3N34 to Lake Arrowhead. 3N34 is currently closed for a new bridge being built over Deep Creek. So we took a little 35 mile putt around the campground. We did pick up a map - seems like Miller Canyon or Pinnacles have access to more of the trails.

Reply by XRFireguy on 06/17/2003 7:54:15 PM
I used to ride 3N34 on my 3 wheeler back in 1988. I forgot how much fun that area was. Lets all set up a ride. My bike is getting sick of the quick runs around my neighborhood.

Reply by lisasxr4 on 06/18/2003 07:18:42 AM
Lets shoot for a ride the weekend of July 25-26.

Reply by MotoVet on 06/19/2003 4:24:59 PM
Sounds like a great idea. My next race isn't till August 23-24. Summer is the best time for the mountain trials. Congratulations XRFireGuy on the birth of your daughter.

Reply by XRFireguy on 06/19/2003 5:42:27 PM
The 25th and 26th sounds great. I am hoping to have my bike street legal by then too. I won't have a license yet, but what the heck!!! I am heading up to some mountains this weekend to ride, might even pop into Temecula for gas... I will keep you all posted, maybe we can all get together for a ride up there. Be safe everyone!!!

Reply by XR4DEZ on 06/20/2003 6:40:36 PM
XR Fireguy, let's meet at Glen Helen and moto cross the 650s? Let me know.

Reply by XRFireguy on 06/22/2003 7:23:35 PM
Hey everyone, Dez.. sounds great going to Glen Helen. There is a place in north county San Diego also called Amago, not too bad of a track. Rode Palomar Mtn. this weekend and founf that the road goes through a wilderness area and they have made a HUGE ditch in the road to stop motor vehicles (and the 650 I might add). So, Agua Tibia I went and found a lot of roads to travel. VERY slick leaves up there. The clouds were low and the ground was wet, it made the 650 feel like a flat track bike a few times. Lets ride Big Bear!!! See you all

Reply by lisasxr4 on 06/30/2003 4:31:48 PM
Looks like the hubby has decided to ride Kennedy Meadows the last weekend of July.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8633 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “CA”