Making XR600R CA Street Legal

California
4Strokes
Site Admin

Making XR600R CA Street Legal

Postby 4Strokes » Sat May 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Topic: CA - Making my 97 XR600 Street Legal in Cali?
Author: Coolidge
Posted: 04/13/2007 1:17:51 PM

I just bought a nice 97 XR600R. It looks like it was barely ridden and parked in 98. (Green sticker exp 98) So, I am assuming bike is 'out of the DMV system' as I have to get bike verified @ DMV. If I get all the street legal stuff on BEFORE I go to DMV to verification, will I be able plates for my bike??? I am collecting parts now (incl the parts not incl w/Baja Designs kit) Any help/advice/input greatly appreciated. I keep seem to get conflicting stories: "yes, can be done" and "NO, cant be done anymore..." Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Just got this bike, and Im looking forward to learing more about making it better. Thanks in advance, Guy

Reply by 4StroKen on 04/13/2007 2:39:20 PM
I believe after Jan 1st 2003 the cal. dmv wont allow converted dirt bikes to be registered for street. but I hear if its a custom bike and meets the inspection requirements it can be plated. I dont know the process for this but I do know when I plated my 650r it was a pain in the butt... good luck with it.

Reply by Coolidge on 04/19/2007 2:47:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had my 1st appt w/DMV today. Since bike is no longer in the Calif DMV system, I have to get verification with: DMV and CHP. My 'language' w/clerk was that the bike is dual-purpose street/dirt. I will have lights, etc by time bike is inspected. Looks like the only thing that may hold it up is the 'emissions' sticker???? Anyways, I will keep going, (w/fingers crossed) and post later on what happens. Wish me luck? Oh, yeah, I DID get temp permit to drive on the street.

Reply by Coolidge on 04/20/2007 07:43:26 AM
Can anybody show me a pic/example of the emissions sticker that would be required in Calif.? Thanks in advance...

Reply by Admin on 04/20/2007 08:37:44 AM
There is a sample motorcycle emission label in this PDF: Many Scooters and Off-Road Motorcycle Imports Fail to Meet EPA Standards (dead link)

Reply by Coolidge on 04/20/2007 10:08:27 AM
Thanks admin. My work 'puter wont open that file. I will check it when I get home. I checked my bike. There is a sticker on the swingarm that says something to the effect: "Meets Federal Emissions for 1997 Honda #######, etc...." But "Federal" & "Emissions" are both in the same sticker. On one of the papers from DMV, the Lady wrote something about inspection for emissions sticker??? Exhaust is stock. so, who knows??? I'm still crossing my fingers!

Reply by Admin on 04/20/2007 10:59:31 AM
The motorcycle emissions label has "federal" on it as well:

motorcycle_emissions_label.gif
Motorcycle Emissions Label

Reply by Coolidge on 04/20/2007 10:04:53 PM
Thanks for posting that. Here is (the best) picture I could get of the sticker on my bike. Would this label be passable in Calif? Thanks again, in advance:

emissionslabel003.JPG
Motorcycle Noise Emission Label

Reply by Admin on 04/21/2007 10:51:04 AM
That's a good question. I would think CA DMV would be concerned with combustion emissions as well.

Reply by Coolidge on 04/24/2007 07:58:49 AM
Well, I have been doing some checking. Looks like my year bike, '97, is the last year of no smog emission devices. The 98 model has a smog emissions label fixed to rear fender (+required smog dev), so hopefully the federal emissions label I have will suffice. I have: Baja Design kit (on the way) mirrors, speedo/odo cluster. Not sure if a horn is required in Calif? But I will probably add one anyway.

Reply by Admin on 04/24/2007 08:22:12 AM
The latest Dual Sport Requirements PDF by Motorcycle Industry Council doesn't even show a horn on its list. That's odd. I would definitely put one on though. You don't want to be sitting somewhere with a big truck backing up that can't see you.

Reply by Series8217 on 04/30/2007 2:20:29 PM
Any updates? Did you get it through?

Reply by Coolidge on 05/22/2007 7:10:16 PM
Well, I have the BD kit installed (w/horn & mirrors) I just installed rear DOT tire, and will be doing frt DOT tire next. (Michelin AC10's), Then Im off to CHP & DMV. Baja Designs sent me some add'l paperwork to help w/DMV registration too. Me thinks I will be ok, (I HOPE so anyway) I am leaving for Pismo beach for the Holiday, and will get inspections done when I get back. Will post up when I have more news.

Reply by Admin on 05/23/2007 10:52:23 AM
Thanks for the update, and good luck!

Reply by Coolidge on 06/08/2007 5:13:47 PM
Well....Passed 1st inspection w/CHP. The CHP was a dirt biker too (XR400) Got the new AC10's on, Monday or Tuesday, I will be heading off to DMV.

Reply by Coolidge on 06/15/2007 6:04:55 PM
RECENT UPDATE: Deeeeeeeeee-Nied! It looks like if you dont have the (proper, not the one I showed) emission sticker, you are not gooing to get dual sport. they did check 8th digit in vin, which decides if you get red or green sticker. They said I still have a chance. I just have to get lamp/brake cert AND emissions sticker (Im workin' on it) ..at least I got my green sticker for now

Reply by super_chris on 07/06/2007 5:19:24 PM
I know this is kind of old, but I'm replying anyway. Try going into a private "registration" company. There's one in Elsinore that I went to. They got my '88 XT completely legal, with plates, registration everything. The shop is licensed to do their own inspections, so they can just overlook any shortcomings of your bike(they never even looked at mine, just asked if it would pass inspection). Where as the DMV purposely tries as hard as possible to shoot you down.

Reply by Ecksarelle on 07/06/2007 5:44:49 PM
Good tip, Super_Chris! Always good to know what can work... and that it worked for you! Welcome to the forums!

Reply by Coolidge on 07/11/2007 5:40:47 PM
OK, had my 2nd inspection, and got my plates. I now have proper 'dual registration'. Paid for both green sticker/and street plate. I am one very 'happy camper'. Plating/DS-ing my XR600 wasnt looking too good for awhile there. But all worked out in the end. Hopefully I get to keep 'em.

Reply by Ecksarelle on 07/12/2007 08:10:39 AM
Did the DMV do the inspection and "pass" your bike, or did you go to an outside "shop" like Super_Chris suggested?

Reply by Coolidge on 07/12/2007 10:13:37 AM
Without going into too much detail, I had all my 'ducks in a row' (paperwork, docs, etc.) I even went back to same DMV that denied me in the 1st place (Newhall). They still fought me a bit, but I DID get the plate. I think I had more paperwork/info on how to do the dual reg than the DMV clerk. I had 3 DMV clerks AND a supervisor involved. But (*sigh*) its done! Lets ride! PM me if you need more details/info

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26580 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “CA”