California
4Strokes
Site Admin

Changing CA Dual-Sport Policies

Postby 4Strokes » Sat May 28, 2016 10:01 am

Topic: Changing California Dual-Sport Policies
Author: Willxr415
Posted: 11/13/2003 08:01:20 AM

Anybody know any details about the changing california law for dual sport. I heard that there will be no more conversions after jan 31, 2004. Any fact to this? I have a 2002 xr400 and have always wanted to go dual sport but haven't gotten around to it. Is time running out?

Reply by Admin on 11/13/2003 08:31:35 AM
As it stands now, you have until January 31, 2004 to convert your dirt bike to a California street legal dual-sport bike. -Admin

THE NATIONAL PUBLIC LANDS REPORT
by Bill Dart,
BRC Public Lands Director

DMV SUSPENDS BAN ON DUAL SPORT CONVERSIONS
Last month we reported that California had suspended the long allowed practice of converting off-highway motorcycles with the required safety equipment to street legal status. The BlueRibbon Coalition immediately contacted officials with the California Department of Motor Vehicles and the California Air Resources Board to see what could be done about suspending or reversing the new ban. The ban came as a complete surprise, as we only learned about it a couple of days after DMV had issued an internal memo to all of its field offices, with no opportunity for the public to participate in the change of policy. BlueRibbon worked with the American Motorcyclist Association, and quickly put together a coalition of all the California motorcycle organizations including AMA Districts 36 & 37, the California Off Road Vehicle Association, and the Off-Road Business Association. We jointly petitioned California Governor Gray Davis, along with the Director of DMV and the Chairman of the Air Resources Board to ask that the new policy be suspended for six months while further analysis could be done to determine if the policy was justified.

DMV had allowed these owner conversions provided that the bike complied with a bulletin (FRM888.pdf, CHP 888, OPI062 Rev 6-93) from the California Highway Patrol listing all of the equipment requirements. But a concern arose about emissions, since these bikes are not certified as meeting California Highway emissions standards, and when the ARB was asked for their interpretation of the laws, they determined that it was illegal to register motorcycles for highway use unless they were certified as meeting either California or federal highway motorcycle emissions standards.

In our joint letter, we argued that since 1997, all Green Sticker compliant off-highway motorcycles have exceeded the federal highway standards by a large margin. They are almost as clean as California 700cc and below street bikes. Emissions was not a good reason to ban the conversions because they are cleaner than over 700 cc street bikes. Additionally, these bikes are not used as daily drivers, but are used primarily to allow owners to connect trails and riding areas separated by roads or highways requiring a street legal motorcycle, an increasingly common problem in California and elsewhere in the nation. Most riders who spend most of their time off-highway prefer the converted dirt bikes to the factory street legal models, as they are lighter, have better suspension, and they perform much better.

Our appeal was successful, and DMV has now suspended the ban until January 31, 2004. As it stands today, any new Green Sticker compliant motorcycle purchased by December 31, 2003, will be eligible for conversion, and all other motorcycles are eligible as long as the registration conversion is initiated by January 31, 2004. The motorcycle must have a Green Sticker, and 2003 and 2004 Red Sticker emissions non-compliant models will not be eligible.

Many thought that trying to get large bureaucracies like the California Air Resources Board and the Department of Motor Vehicles to change an already adopted policy was a waste of time. We found that change is possible. While this temporary suspension is a big victory, it is only temporary. If you are a California resident who has been thinking about converting your dirt bike to street legal status, you should get going on it now. The conversion kit suppliers are concerned that there will be a spike in sales, and they may have trouble filling the demand in time for the January 31st deadline to begin the conversion process. But as long as long have started the paperwork by January 31, 2004, you will still be able to finish the process later than the 31st. Meanwhile, we are looking for permanent solutions, through either an administrative remedy, or through legislation next year.

--Bill Dart is the Public Lands Director for the BlueRibbon Coalition. For questions or comments on this article, or on other Public Lands issues, he may be contacted at: BlueRibbon Coalition, 4555 Burley Drive, Suite A, Pocatello, ID 83202-1921. Phone: 208-237-1008, Fax: 208-237-9424. Email: brbill_d@sharetrails.org. BlueRibbon Coalition Website

Reply by DanDog on 11/18/2003 12:28:36 PM
I figured it was now or never and got my bike licenced. Why risk being screwed down the road.

FYI: my 1995 XR600R that had a Arizona title breezed right thru the prossess. Non Dot tires even. The only hitch was because I have no odometer, (just trip meter) there was a additional form to fill out.

If they ask just say I never had a odometer when first sold new.

Reply by kubiak on 11/18/2003 3:04:23 PM
i think you arent required to have a speedometer in california.but not sure on a odometer.

Reply by DanDog on 11/22/2003 1:33:51 PM
Both are required here. What happened was they let the missing odometer slide via that form. I do not know what the form name was. Maybe 'statment of facts'. Anyway, I just said it was not originaly equiped with a odometer.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10278 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “CA”