Sunday Ride Report at the Ganny

Ont, Ontario
Post Reply
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 1216
Joined: May 02, 2016

Sunday Ride Report at the Ganny

Post by 4Strokes » Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 am

Topic: Sunday ride report at the Ganny
Author: 250f canuck
Posted: 08/12/2007 8:03:56 PM

What a day! I've been looking forward to this ride today in the Ganaraska Forest for almost a month, I invited b_king along to ride, but he graciously declined (ask him about his toe). No biggie, some other time. Anyway, the day started with getting up a 4 AM and getting my crap together, my riding "buddy" was picking me up at 5, we had a 3hr drive to get to the ride. All that went well, I just got my bike back together the day before after doing some clutch mods. We got to the trail head on time, got signed in and sound checked. I will say that the sound check was kind of pathetic, I roll in with a bike that passes at 95db and the guy said I didn't pass, but would let me go anyway as it wasn't by much. He wasn't even holding the db meter thing the right distance, he didn't have a tach on my bike, and just said

"Yeah, about 1/4 throttle, OK, giv'er a bit more gas, OK, hold it right there, yep, good, OK."

"So did I pass?"

"Nah, but not by much, you can go ride."


So me and Larry, the guy who I rode up with (this guy is over 50 but still flies like he's 27) get suited up and wait for the riders meeting. They say that dust is the biggest problem as the trails are 98% sand and there has been no rain for a while. Crap, I hate dust. Maybe that poor devil with the XR650R and the dez tank will suck all the dust out of the air for us? Also, they say, there are 2 loops, one that is 30-40K of 2-track/fire road to the lunch stop, and the other is 60K of single track to lunch. They do intersect, but not often. They also said something about 20 more KM of single track after lunch, but that was optional.

Larry being Larry (he's quite the character) opts for the 60K tight loop and I go with him 'cause I think I'm his riding buddy and we'll stick together. Wrong. The 1st 1.5K I hang with him because it's all 2-track and more open stuff, but dusty as all hell. It was terrible, I couldn't see 15' in front of me. Soon we hit the first of the tight stuff and I lost him. He slithers through those trees like a snake, I don't know how he does it on that 400 EX/C. Anyway, I just stuck to my speed, which was a bit slower than the guys behind me, so I got passed a few times, which always bugs me. Most of the single track had a decent flow to it, but every now and then they would throw in a tight, 90 degree turn between 2 very solid trees. They sucked, you wanted to lean the bike over buy you couldn't. I over-shot a few turns that came out of nowhere, but nothing to serious. I stopped and watched a few of the guys who passed me and tried to mimic their style after I got going. I felt a bit better after a sip on my drink pack, but I was really moving! I was sliding into tight turns and blasting out, though none with huge trees right on the inside. I even passed someone! Haha, this is fun! Then my fun was cut short by a tree lying across the trail on the exit of a tight hairpin turn. It was hairy, but I made it. It took me a while to get back up to speed, but the trail opened up a bit so that helped. After about 5 mins on the open trail (2nd gear stuff, it was still a little tight) I took my 1st soil sample as my front end washed out on a log lying parallel to the trail. i don't think I could ever wear a helmet cam because when I crash I tend to lead with my head, letting my helmet demolish all in it's path.

I picked myself up, let a few more people pass, and was on my way. Less than a minute after my incident a great big cloud of white smoke came off my rads while I was rolling through a down-hill whoop section (Ganaraska is so whooped-out it's terrible in places, this was one of them). I thought I blew a rad hose in my get-off and the rolling bumps shook it loose, but it didn't smell like coolant. I pulled over on the side of a fire road about 70' from where it happened to examine the situation. All the hoses where on good and tight, but what's that black stuff all over my front end. My eyes migrated down the frame tube and came to rest on the spot where my frame oil drain bolt should have been. Son of a biotch! I just lost all my oil! Well shit, I guess I just have to wait for the sweep team. One guy said he would tell people that I'm broken down at kilometer 9! Only 9K into a 60K ride and my day is done. To tell you the truth I don't think I could have gone all 60K of single track, I think I would have jumped onto the easy loop given the chance, ride it to lunch, then do the 20K loop after lunch. But that doesn't matter now.

It took about 1.5hrs for the sweepers to come through, and I got a tow back to the trail head. That was interesting to say the least, that Husky TE250 was struggling to haul my bike and 2 people up one big sandy hill. We stopped when he started digging a hole, the sweeper rode the rest of the way up the hill and we employed the services of a dude on a Bombardier DS650 sport quad to tow it up the hill. Shortly after that we met a family of 5 on horseback. Shut the bike off, say hi, regular horse routine. The dad asked what happened, so I told him. His wife almost laughed, claiming that horses don't need gas or oil, just a bit of hey. She also commented on our "goofy outfits" and how they don't have to wear them. Excuse me, who the hell are you? I was about to ask how she feels when her horse dies, or comment on her hard hat, but I didn't. Their teenage daughter was pretty hot though, and I think she winked at me, but I'm not sure. She did look interested though, pretty tough to beat that!

So we did eventually get back to the trail head, untie the bikes, and away the sweeper went to pull some more arrows. I sat around for more that 2hrs waiting for Larry to come and unlock his SUV so I could change. Oddly enough he did the entire ride, 20K option after lunch and all. That guy is amazing, I would love to be able to ride like him when I'm 20, let alone when I'm 50!

The ride definitely could have been better. Loosing my oil sucks, but blowing up the engine would have been worse. Everyone was saying how lucky I was I caught it early before shit really did happen. The dust also sucked really bad, but I did rain after I got back to the trucks, so it helped those who were still out (everybody else).

Hopefully the next ride is better, now I have an excuse to to buy magnetic drain plugs.

Reply by Admin on 08/13/2007 08:30:42 AM
Where is Ganaraska Forest? b-king, what happened to your toe? Maybe you should send the tech guy a link to tech section to learn how to sound check bikes and quads. You gotta love those hairy hairpin turns and headfirst head-plants! What, you lost your oil drain plug!? I've left wheel lug nuts loose before but never an oil drain plug! Glad you're buying a drain plug instead of a whole new motor. Great story, thanks for sharing it, canuk!

Reply by 250f canuck on 08/13/2007 08:47:31 AM
The Ganaraska forest is halfway between Kingston and Toronto, and about 30KM north of the 401 highway (trans-Canada highway). It's probably on Google Maps if you look for it. It's great to ride in when it's raining, but not so much otherwise. I hate dust, give me mud any day. My Mom would probably kill me if I blew up my bike, so it's good that didn't happen.

Reply by 4Putter on 08/13/2007 09:31:53 AM
Great story, Canuck. 60K of single track would take me a week. ON the other hand, 30k of double wide...unlikely I'd be eating much dust! Thanks for the story.

Reply by 250f canuck on 08/13/2007 09:39:26 AM
Just bought some magnetic drain plugs off eBay, $19.50 seemed all right (shipping included). Hopefully I don't loose one of those!

Reply by Admin on 08/13/2007 09:43:29 AM
You could always start drilling and tying your important fasteners like many racers do.

Reply by 250f canuck on 08/13/2007 09:49:56 AM
You mean like drilling a small hole in the head and tying it to the frame using wire, or something similar? A couple of guys at the ride suggested I do something like that, when I get it fixed. Properly torquing the bolt down might help also.

Reply by Admin on 08/13/2007 10:06:02 AM
Yep, and yep!

Reply by b_king on 08/14/2007 7:31:07 PM
I unfortunately had a freak canoeing accident the weekend before. I was camping up in Algonquin with my pops. On the first night of the trip we had just arrived at the camp site, I was straddling the canoe and pulled it up, not realizing my foot, sporting a sandal, remained under the canoe. It was after the sharp pain had I realized that something was wrong. I removed my foot and noticed my toe nail(big toe) was standing at a 45 degree angle, two words, NOT GOOD. Well after a nice soak in the cool lake for about a half hour, I wrapped her up good and had dinner. I got up the next morning, as I did for the following 8 mornings and began my wonderous day of hobbling about. I thought for a while I had shattered a bone, or broken something, but all it was is the toe nail got ripped up and is now slowly falling off. So all in all, I couldn't ride because I could barely stand all day at work, let alone walk long distances. I didn't want to aggravate it because it would have only prolonged the healing time, thus more time to wait before I can ride again. I am now going on two weeks without the KLX between my legs, trust me, it hurts.

Reply by Ecksarelle on 08/15/2007 10:05:16 AM
Canuck, Great post! The hot teenage daughter & the ignorant horse-mom had me ROTFLOL. ~Ecks

Reply by hondarocks61 on 08/16/2007 09:04:00 AM
me to!

Reply by sparta4188 on 08/16/2007 10:49:08 AM
same here lol

Reply by mspike on 08/16/2007 12:02:44 PM
Good story

Original URL: © 2016

Post Reply