4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
XR650L Reinforced Subframe on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 XR650L NX650 FMX650 - Frame, Body & Electrical
 XR650L Reinforced Subframe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KEENO
Franklin, TN

KEENO has no Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Topic started on 08/04/2006 at 2:42:42 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read, on occasion, that rear subframe on the XR650L will crack if loaded and used for 'aggressive' Adventure Touring.

I wish to do a some adventure touring on my XRL and want to reinforce the rear Subframe before issues arise. Which area is prone to cracking? What's the best fix?

TIA... KEENO

2002 XR650L - Dave's Mods, 55/158 Jetting, K&N, De-Smog'ed, SuperTrapp, Aluminum
Skid Plate, RSW Upper Triple Clamp, Renthal 1 1/8 TwinWall Handlebars, Sidewinder/Krause Racing Sprockets 14/47T

Johnny_Bravo
Washington, DC

Johnny_Bravo has no Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Posted on 08/05/2006 at 1:38:36 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also often heard of this issue, especially when panniers are mounted on the bike and a lot of equipment is carried. (I was actually just considering posting this same question)

2006 Honda XR650L

KingTutt
Kona, HI

USA
588 Posts

Posted on 08/06/2006 at 11:22:34 PM  Member Profile  Visit KingTutt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A while back I saw a websitwe of a guy named Kevin Basso who rode from Tennesee to the Oregon coast and back on his "L" carrying what turned out to be more stuff than he needed strapped to the back on the seat, tailrack and home made panniers. His frame cracked/broke twice during that trip. He has a website called trailscout with pics and write ups on the whole trip. It's very cool.
This pic (copied from the "trailscout" website) should give you some ideas as to where to re-enforce your frame if you plan on loading up the back of your XR650L.
This is the first break.

His frame then broke again towards the end of the trip but this time on the down tube part under the seat just below the plate welded in place to fix and re-enforce the first break.

Hope this helps.

SOLD the 05 XR650L "Ginnie Pig"
- XR650L Smog Block-Off Carb Pics
- Donated to the support of 4Strokes.com

Admin
4Strokes.com

USA
7826 Posts

Posted on 08/07/2006 at 07:44:51 AM  Member Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin Basso's Website is listed in the Description of his pics in the XR650L Gallery section. Kevin's pics are the very first pics in the category.

Forum How-To's | Forum FAQs | Forum Policies

4Putter
New Jersey

USA
723 Posts

Posted on 08/07/2006 at 08:37:56 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised to see those cracks. Seems very "unhonda". If there is anything a honda rider can count on its that the bike wont break apart while you're riding it...

01 XR650R - Uncorked, pipe cored, (jetting 68S, 175), filter, Renthal Fat bars.
Son rides my 84 XR500R with Supertrapp.

Admin
4Strokes.com

USA
7826 Posts

Posted on 08/07/2006 at 08:56:21 AM  Member Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the rear end was overloaded. Here are some pics:

Forum How-To's | Forum FAQs | Forum Policies

4Putter
New Jersey

USA
723 Posts

Posted on 08/07/2006 at 10:38:32 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
True, Admin. I suppose the tolerances on those structures do not assume an overloaded downward pressure.

KEENO
Franklin, TN

KEENO has no Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Posted on 08/07/2006 at 12:06:06 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys...

I had been out to Kevin's site and even emailed him directly. I Guess I missed the pics and he never referenced them in his reply.

Here's his reply:

"The best bet is to not put any more than 10 lbs on the back rack and no
more than 20 in the saddle bags.

Really no need to reinforce if you abide by that. A welder could
probably look at the frame and see where to reinforce if need be, but my
problem was I put too much weight on it"

I stumbled onto his site and realized I work 10 miles from the start of the Trans America Trail here in Columbia Tennessee.

Thaanks for the pics! KEENO

2002 XR650L - Dave's Mods, 55/158 Jetting, K&N, De-Smog'ed, SuperTrapp, Aluminum
Skid Plate, RSW Upper Triple Clamp, Renthal 1 1/8 TwinWall Handlebars, Sidewinder/Krause Racing Sprockets 14/47T

Johnny_Bravo
Washington, DC

Johnny_Bravo has no Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Posted on 08/07/2006 at 12:46:56 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
This is definitely not a problem I'd worry about when carrying a normal load. However, this is a very common problem with people who take the XR650L on round-the-world (RTW) trips (which I'm planning on doing)where you're carrying everything you need to survive on the bike and the the equipment carried weighs in at much higher than 30lbs. In this case, reinforcing the sub-frame is a mandatory mod.

2006 Honda XR650L

forgeanvil
Oxford, GA

forgeanvil has no Avatar

USA
130 Posts

Posted on 08/09/2006 at 06:57:10 AM  Member Profile  Visit forgeanvil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The failures in the pictures look like they happened right at the welds. Whoever welded those spots got the tubing hot and weakened it right where they were trying to reinforce it. No matter how strong the patched side, he still left an unreinforced point right at the stress point and right where he did his welding. Rather than slapping on flat patches and hoping the welds would hold, anyone who wants to strengthen that spot would do well to fabricate a "T" from tubing that has an interior diameter really close to the framing tube outer diameter, cut the frame tubing and slide it into the "T", and do the welding at the ends of the "T". That way the heat gets put into an area that experiences less stress and there is a solid, mechanical joint there, not a cobbled up mess of really ugly and poorly executed welds. It doesn't seem to me that 30 pounds of added weight could possibly cause the damage shown here. More like a really hard landing and just the wrong angle where the frame got stressed. The later pictures are sort of hard to make out but looks like the same thing...blobs of weld and plate on one side,a relatively clean break, and unblemished tubing on the other. That is a sure sign that the tubing was weakenend by the welding and failed.

1999 XR650L: bored to 101mm, 10.5:1 Wiseco, decomp removed, stainless steel intake valves, smog stuff gone, snorkel removed, 58 slow jet, 165 main, Uni filter, slide drilled 5/32", Michelin Deserts, DID Gold chain

4Putter
New Jersey

USA
723 Posts

Posted on 08/09/2006 at 07:23:57 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgeanvil--Most impressive asessment. I'm guessin you're a welder by trade. Yet another expert on our highly trained staff at 4strokes. Cheers!

forgeanvil
Oxford, GA

forgeanvil has no Avatar

USA
130 Posts

Posted on 08/09/2006 at 08:52:18 AM  Member Profile  Visit forgeanvil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blacksmith and thanks. The fix I describe would not be easy with all the welds and attachments and frame members coming together right there. It would be better if there weren't so many welds grouped right at that spot. Mechanical connections are much better and stronger than welds and the engineering is pretty poor if you have to stick chunks of metal on top of your frame to keep it together. Maybe someone should start making aftermarket frames that do a better job. To be fair, though, I've abused all my XR's and ridden them super hard at times and have never seen a failure like the ones in the picture. I prefer the hydration pack and credit card version of traveling, though.

1999 XR650L: bored to 101mm, 10.5:1 Wiseco, decomp removed, stainless steel intake valves, smog stuff gone, snorkel removed, 58 slow jet, 165 main, Uni filter, slide drilled 5/32", Michelin Deserts, DID Gold chain

KingTutt
Kona, HI

USA
588 Posts

Posted on 08/09/2006 at 11:05:14 AM  Member Profile  Visit KingTutt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The guy did significantly over load the rear. I guess anything not designed to carry a load will suffer when overloaded.

I like the hydration pack and credit card idea!

SOLD the 05 XR650L "Ginnie Pig"
- XR650L Smog Block-Off Carb Pics
- Donated to the support of 4Strokes.com

b_king
Oakville, ON

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted on 08/09/2006 at 3:02:42 PM  Member Profile  Click to see b_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just curious, the L is desgined to be able to carry two people. So how is gear an excessive weight compared to an extra human? I don't imagine Kevin could have put upwards of 100 lbs on his L. If he did, I'd like to know what he brough with him!

08 KLX450R

forgeanvil
Oxford, GA

forgeanvil has no Avatar

USA
130 Posts

Posted on 08/09/2006 at 5:40:01 PM  Member Profile  Visit forgeanvil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point,b-king. Wonder if Kevin did a little upside down time in some rocks or something?

mitchner9g
California

USA
136 Posts

Posted on 08/09/2006 at 8:44:29 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b_king

Just curious, the L is desgined to be able to carry two people. So how is gear an excessive weight compared to an extra human? I don't imagine Kevin could have put upwards of 100 lbs on his L. If he did, I'd like to know what he brough with him!

maybe he found some gold in them thar hills!

seriously, aren't those passenger pegs just for 'show'? you know: one of those little things that you can feel good about removing when you first get the bike and know that it's immediately 5 pounds lighter?

who rides two-up on the "L"??? if you do, there's a bud lite "real men of genious" commercial that we need to dream up for you here on 4Strokes.com

mr. "I take my girlfriend EVERYWHERE MAN!!!!"

95 XR650L
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2013 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page